NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust riser bolts sheered

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DPUK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust riser bolts sheered
    Posted: May-15-2018 at 2:49pm
Hi, just had to remove the riser part of my exhaust manifold and as expected the two longer bolts sheered at the manifold end.
No big problem as have cobolt bits and ta thougp's etc, just want to know how deep I can drill out the old bolts, if I go too deep dose this cause a problem between water jacket and exhaust chamber?
My thoughts are to put two studs in this time with nuts on the top, I know it will be a pain to get it off over the studs but rather that than risk studs breaking next time.

Am I thinking rite?
cheers
Dave.
ps. season's underway over here and had a couple of good weekends in the warm lake already.

Barefoot Gramp's
gmars70970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 4:27pm
I've got the manifolds off my 351w just now, i'll measure the depth of threads tomorrow if that helps?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 4:53pm
Since the manifolds are not handed meaning that there no left or right side ones all bolt holes are the same depth. Measure what you have, be careful and good luck. Or you see if you could find someone with a EDM machine to take them out.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 5:00pm
likely an inch.
DPUK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 6:52pm
Thanks guy's, what I really need to know is how far can I go without any disasterous outcomes, for instance if I drill through into the exhaust chamber will I be ok to put the stud right trough and seal threads with locktite or something similar, or will it go through the water jacket first?
The problem is that an inch is not deep enough to tap a new thread when you have a blind end.
probably easier to take it to an engineering shop but I enjoy doing this stuff.

last week we had a leak through one of the blanking plugs on our O M C 350 chevy manifold, (its in a 1978 nautique), it had rusted trough the inner end, unable to remove it so as the plug was mild steel we just mig welded it shut, worked a treat.
Barefoot Gramp's
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 5:38pm
Hi DPUK

I measured some PCM manifolds I have and the holes are 7/8 inch deep, but you can only thread a bolt in 3/4 of an inch.

I've drilled out a broken bolt in these and then cleaned up the original threads.

Not the easiest thing, but it worked.

Drilling 3/4 of an inch should get you to the bottom of the bolt

If you were to go an inch you'd be into the exhaust side or awful close..
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 6:14pm
Mine are OSCO and I tapped them to get longer bolt in instead of cutting the bolt.   
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

Mine are OSCO and I tapped them to get longer bolt in instead of cutting the bolt.   

You couldn't find the correct length bolt?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic