Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering on 77’ Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JetDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JetDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering on 77’ Mustang
    Posted: May-17-2018 at 10:41am
I replaced the stringers and floor in my boat and just shortly after broke the old steering cable. So I went to the local marina and purchased a new one. The wheel is centered in the locks and the rudder straight. But when we go out on the water it turns really well to the right, almost on a dime, but to the left takes a country mile. Any advice to fix this? It is a four turn rack that’s in it now. Thanks for the help in advance.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 10:52am
Clamp block/clamp tube adjustment will fix that.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 11:05am
Originally posted by JetDriver JetDriver wrote:

The wheel is centered in the locks and the rudder straight. But when we go out on the water it turns really well to the right, almost on a dime, but to the left takes a country mile.

Craig,
You need to compensate for prop torque so you don't center the helm and rudder. Just as Tim mentioned, you adjust the clamp tube in the clamp block. It may take a few trial and errors.

How about posting some pictures?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JetDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JetDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 2:00pm
I’ll grab some pictures this weekend. I did play with that a little one time but it seemed that I lost more than I gained. My expectation when I replaced it was that it would turn left like it does right because the old cable did. Did I mess up buying a 4 turn system?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 2:25pm
It shouldn’t take much trial and error to get equal travel in both directions unless you’re not verifying the stroke before relaunching. If you set it up such that you get a little more travel for a Rh turn, you’ll be darn close (the Rh Prop makes LH turns easier).

Getting the wheel perfectly straight when going straight is a little trickier and will take a few tries, in my experience.

I’d be surprised if your cable physically installed on both ends without issue and turned out to be the wrong style... but clue us in on the cable you bought. IIRC the 10” throw rotary cables have closer to 3 turns lock to lock than 4.
JetDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JetDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 2:30pm
I’ll grab the model of the rack I put in. I have a left turn prop from the way I read it. 13LH 14
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 4:18pm
Did you put rack & pinion steering in? Original would be rotary and as tim said doesn't quite go 4 turns on standard throw.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic