Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jabsco 17410 replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
CCCC1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCCC1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jabsco 17410 replacement
    Posted: May-23-2018 at 10:32pm
Howdy, new member here from Richmond VA.

Just purchased a 1979 ski tique and after new fuel pump and filter, I found out the water pump is leaking from the back plate gasket. After looking at costs of rebuild with impeller and gaskets and who knows what else I may find when it’s all apart, I may take the easy route and replace it with the 18830.

What I’d like to know is it a direct replacement part or will I need to modify the bracket?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 11:54pm
I replaced mine with a g21 Sherwood. Slight bracket modification but easily done.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
CCCC1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCCC1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 12:20am
What does a slight bracket mod mean? Any reason you went with the Sherwood instead of the jabsco?
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 10:05am
I switched because a friend had a sherwood on a boat he no longer used and it was a quick temporary fix.......that turned permanent. If I remember correctly I had to drill new holes in the bracket for mounting the pump and I cut a slot in the bracket so I would not have to remove the sheave (pulley).   
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
va-river-tique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote va-river-tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 10:18am
Welcome to the site, it's a great place for knowledge. I'm in Mechanicsville with a 77 Tique that I'm finishing up a resto on so if you have any questions hit me up. My Tique came with the Sherwood pump. If you don't know the history of the impeller you may way to change that out to be safe and the kit should come with a new gasket and/or rubber ring seal which may be the issue with your pump.

I just changed the impeller on my Silver to find out that pieces of the previous impeller to the one I replaced were still jammed in the housing.

Did you buy that while and blue Tique that I saw on craigslist recently?
CCCC1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCCC1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 10:43am
You got it, va-river-tique. The boat was in incredible shape, other than needing said components. Garage kept and everything. The man who owned it used it to pull his grandkids on the tube at Lake Landor in Ladysmith.

I was pumped to find it because my grandfather had a 72 Martinique I helped him get back in the water, and this was pretty close to that boat.

I am thinking of a full replacement w/ the 18830 due to several considerations. First being when I took the backplate off, I noticed that small fingernail-sized pieces of the plastic housing came off with the cardboard gasket. I was thinking of rehabbing this pump but after buying all the pieces, I will be close to the cost of the new replacement.

I do have a question about the carb though. I have the commander 302 w/ Holley 4 bbl and it was rebuilt before I bought it, but not sure it was tuned. Do you know anyone who can tune up a carb for not a lot a cash?

Thanks and ;let's grab a beer and talk boats soon!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 11:06am
Originally posted by CCCC1985 CCCC1985 wrote:

I have the commander 302 w/ Holley 4 bbl and it was rebuilt before I bought it, but not sure it was tuned. Do you know anyone who can tune up a carb for not a lot a cash?

Cade,
What are the problems you are having that you feel are carb related?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
CCCC1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCCC1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 11:24am
I am not sure I have problems yet, but when someone says they rebuilt the carb, I am taking it at face value not know the quality of their work. After I got the boat running yesterday afternoon, I didn't see where or how to adjust the floats and what not. The idle was a tad high and I adjusted that back down to 650.

I guess what I am looking for is a second set of more knowledgeable eyes to give the carb a once over to potentially remove any glaring issues before the maiden voyage.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 11:28am
Cade,
Float level adjustments on your marine carb are internal. Get the boat out on the water and see how it runs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
va-river-tique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote va-river-tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 12:02pm
I'm up for a beer and boat talk .... couple of good brew houses in the air park. sounds like you have a good handle on the carb. where do you boat at? We are either on the Chick at RIvers' Rest or Lake Gaston.
CCCC1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCCC1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 12:17pm
Sounds like a plan to me, let's get together next week if you are around. Hopefully, the Tique will be purring like a cat by then.

I head to Lake Anna or Buggs Island on the other side of the dam of Gaston. My family has a place on Bluestone Creek, best skiing around.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by CCCC1985 CCCC1985 wrote:

Do you know anyone who can tune up a carb for not a lot a cash?

Just go to Harbor Freight and get yourself a vacuum gauge and connect it up to manifold vacuum. Adjust the idle mixture screws so you get the highest vacuum reading. You might have to tweek the float levels but thats pretty much it. Unless they really screwed up the rebuild.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic