NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Home made boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home made boat
    Posted: June-07-2018 at 4:54pm
My brother's son-in-law christened his new boat yesterday. He built it from Glen-L plans. Took him eight years. He named it "Next Summer" because for years, he told people who asked, that it would be ready "next summer".

This video is all I've ever seen of it, but by the looks of it, he did a pretty nice job. He is a wood craftsman by trade so has the skills and shop/tools.

bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2018 at 5:10pm
Link no go
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2018 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by bwinn bwinn wrote:

Link no go

worked on computer, not on phone.. Reloaded, try again.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2018 at 7:13pm
Good story and great name but I went soft when I saw the newish outboard hanging off the back. A pontoon somewhere is missing it's engine.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2018 at 8:06pm
Larry,
Tell him it looks like he did a fantastic job on the boat and that there are times when projects do take longer than expected. Now it's time for him to enjoy the hard work he put into it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Wisky Badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2018 at 10:07pm
Very nice!    Is that the Glen L Zip?
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2018 at 9:50am
Bon Voyage. Nice looking boat. I, too, like the name!
Js
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2018 at 10:37am
Nice looking boat!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2018 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Wisky Badger Wisky Badger wrote:

Very nice!    Is that the Glen L Zip?

Malahini.

Zip is a cool little boat. I like the lines. I've been wanting to build something like a crackerbox for years, but time, space and money have been stalling factors. I dont care for the Glen-L crackerbox lines, it is more a miniature gentleman's racer than a crackerbox. Cool boat, just not what I had in mind.   I have the "offsets" for a racing hull crackerbox. But I was wondering if I could make a center engine, rear helm boat out of the Zip. If some day ever comes.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2018 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Good story and great name but I went soft when I saw the newish outboard hanging off the back. A pontoon somewhere is missing it's engine.

I hear ya. I kind of had the same thought, but I think wifey had some input. They had some old outboard in the distant past and it died and left them stranded, so her input was it had to have a new/newish engine.

A nice vintage merc tower of power would look nice on it, especially a white or red one, but now I am going waaaaaaaay back.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2018 at 11:24am
Just an FYI (and maybe an advertising plug). Josh has his own business. He builds "secret spaces" and secret storage spaces, rooms or little spaces like for guns and valuables. Does good work.

http://www.covertconcepts.com/gallery/
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2018 at 11:28am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

A nice vintage merc tower of power would look nice on it, especially a white or red one, but now I am going waaaaaaaay back.

Larry,
I sure agree! Maybe in the future?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2018 at 11:39am
Those old outboards look cool, but suck to work on and operate. They need constant tinkering, they stink and leave a sheen on the water.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2018 at 11:44am
Don't forget mechanically loud and run for crap too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2018 at 11:52am
I had one of the old mercurys and it only had forward and reverse. No neutral, had to be very careful when starting it as you would be quickly headed forward or aft.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2018 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

...they stink ...

I love me the smell of an old two stroke. Every now and then, one will putter by our dock and I am instantly transported through time and space to my youth on Kayuta Lake.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2018 at 11:59am
Nice job, happy wife happy life. You can buy vintage engine cowls that have been retrofitted to go on newer outboards. The classic boat guys do it all the time.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2018 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

I had one of the old mercurys and it only had forward and reverse. No neutral, had to be very careful when starting it as you would be quickly headed forward or aft.

David,
There wasn't a forward or reverse because there wasn't a gear box in the lower unit. You would start the engine in ether rotation to get the forward and reverse! Lots of fun when docking and it wouldn't start in reverse!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2018 at 12:10pm
Old Larry? My Florida neighbor has a 02 150 Yamaha 2 smoke and I inherited a 03 25 Mercury, it replaced a 64 35. Some lakes here in Illinois won't let you on with a 2 stroke anymore I hear.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2018 at 12:17pm
Tower of noise is more like it!

Though a having a big white Johnson is a lot of fun on the water, heh

I think it was smart to get a modern engine if they're going to use it frequently.

Outstanding , great to see a young man have mastery of skills to make such a craft.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2018 at 1:39pm
I just repowered my 24' Harris pontoon with a new Yamaha 115 and couldn't be happier. It had a 1998 Honda 50 that had gotten temperamental and unreliable. Pretty sure this will be the last outboard I ever need. BTW it is fuel injected and actually uses less fuel than the 50 Honda.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic