Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bearing buddy won't fit on hub!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dziadzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dziadzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bearing buddy won't fit on hub!
    Posted: June-15-2018 at 6:18pm
Thanks for accepting my membership. My problem is that I can't get a new pair of bearing buddies to fit on the hubs of my fishing boat. The confusion I have is that I am replacing new bearing buddies where there were older type bearing buddys already installed.. (I should point out that they are not real "bearing buddies" , but generic.) I have used both a rubber mallet and a 3 pound hammer on a piece of lumber to try to set them in place. I have put the old and new buddies back to back and they appear to be identical in diameter.. I also took the liberty to grind down the outside edge of the new one in, slightly, in hopes that I could get it started. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.
Frank
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2018 at 6:39pm
if you have dial calipers, get a more accurate reading of both the old, new and hub. It doesn't take much for something to "not fit". I wouldn't try to modify the new ones anymore as that increases the potential for them to fall off. The BB on my flatbed required a little bit of force, but not so much i struggled, maybe 4 strikes with the rubber mallet. Maybe return/sell the generic ones and get actual bearing buddies.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
Dziadzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dziadzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2018 at 7:29pm
Thanks
Frank
Dziadzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dziadzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 8:19am
The bearing buddies that I bought a while ago, that didn't fit came from Harbor Freight a few years ago. This past weekend, I bought a new pair of bearing buddies, again from Harbor Freight. Much to my surprise, the new buddies went on just the way they were supposed to. Apparently, the first pair of buddies did not pass quality control. My thanks to all of you who who took the time to read posts.
Frank
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 3:55pm
bearing buddy is a brand.   Does HF sell actual bearing buddies or the cheep chinese crap that they usually have.
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Dziadzi Dziadzi wrote:

(I should point out that they are not real "bearing buddies" , but generic.)

yeah, he's been using the cheaper version. But sounds like the newer set will at least work now. I've used both (generic and BB) and the Bearing Buddies tend to last longer and leak less. But my trailer axle has the Dexter EZ hubs where the grease actually enters the back of the spindle and pushes forward so all the dirty grease comes out the front.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 11:16pm
It has been my experience they do come in different diameters ( Size). Dead Blow hammer helps too.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

It has been my experience they do come in different diameters ( Size). Dead Blow hammer helps too.

But it looks like HF only has the 1.98.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic