Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a new prop

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a new prop
    Posted: July-04-2018 at 2:09am
1985 Ski Nautique 2001, with 454.

Looking for a new prop, old prop was a 542 (RH), new prop needs to be LH, engine replacement went LH rotation. New 454 engine, I want more low end power, and I'm not overly worried about top speed loss.

I was thinking a 4 blade prop.

I don't know my RPM and top speed on the old prop, cause my motor blew 3 days after bringing the boat to Colorado and running it at altitude.

Thoughts?
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 1:41am
Talked to ACME, ordered a 913.
'85 2001 454
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 10:18am
Wow
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Ian Ian wrote:

Talked to ACME, ordered a 913.

Ian,
Did they say anything about your WOT RPM with the 913?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 11:20am
Ha oh my. Sounds like the phone guys at Acme really aren't the talent they used to be.

That may be a good prop selection for a 351 running full of ballast at 12,000 feet up?

Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Ha oh my. Sounds like the phone guys at Acme really aren't the talent they used to be.

That may be a good prop selection for a 351 running full of ballast at 12,000 feet up?

Thanks for the help before I ordered it. 🙄

That was based off of me telling him a 2001 with 6 adults, 454, and operating at 5500' elevation.

What prop would you have recommended? It hasn't shipped yet, and I haven't been billed yet.

Brainard, I was unable to tell him what my previous RPM was cause my engine blew shortly after getting to altitude.
'85 2001 454
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 2:10pm
Gas station attendant is going to be your new best friend.
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Gas station attendant is going to be your new best friend.

Already is. My truck is a thirsty girl too. 😭

What prop would you recommend
'85 2001 454
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 2:50pm
Didn't realize I was required to respond within a specific time frame.

Enjoy your 913
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 3:04pm

Didn't realize I was required to respond within a specific time frame.

Enjoy your 913

You still haven't offered a suggestion, just offered criticism.

I don't know if the 913 is the best prop for my situation, but so far it's the only suggestion I've received.
You clearly don't think it was a good choice, but you haven't offered an alternative, and I can't use my old prop, so I gotta get something. Care to offer something helpful?
'85 2001 454
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 3:31pm
Who was it Yogi Berra that said 'This is like deja vu all over again"?

Reminds me of a certain other Denver boy named lcgordon and all the prop "help" he got here.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 3:35pm
Why do you want more low end power? Are you doing anything besides hauling around 6 people and gear? A properly matched propeller on a 351 has no issue getting 6 people and gear up to speed in a 2001 so a properly propped big block will do even better.

If you use an elevation power loss calculator it shows about a 60 hp loss at altitude. This is all based on that your engine runs perfectly and makes the stated 330 hp. Stock small block makes anywhere from 240-260 hp pending what year and brochure you are looking at so lets say a median of 250 hp. In theory it should net you around 270 HP at your altitude if the engine is tuned for your altitude and is making the power it is supposed to be.

Sea level selection of propeller for a BBC BFN or 2001 would be a 13x13 (acme 430) a BBC is going to be running about 4500-4700 rpms on this prop which is right about where you want it to be. A small block 2001 should be running a 13x12 (acme 540). Your boat at elevation should still be making more power than a small block at sea level so if you wanted some more hole shot without completely killing any top end and cruising efficiency you would want something around 13x11.5.

That would be similar to swapping your sea level small block from a 540 to a 542. Even a 13x11 might still be in the wheel house pending on how the engine runs but I would venture a guess your WOT rpm with that 13x10.5 is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 5500 rpms.

Remember, this is all relative to how the engine is actually running which you will have no clue about until you do get a propeller on it and run it. I don't know if you are capable of checking things like all in timing but that may be necessary if it seems to be under performing. You want to keep a nice load on the engine especially during break in (which you will be doing and that 10.5 isn't going to load it much). Rings won't seat properly without a correct load reducing engine wear life and likely oil consumption and blow by.

Acme used to be pretty liberal with letting you give a propeller a whirl and returning it if it didn't perform for a swap as long as it wasn't damaged. Those days may have changed but it's worth asking the question.
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 3:48pm

Why do you want more low end power? Are you doing anything besides hauling around 6 people and gear? A properly matched propeller on a 351 has no issue getting 6 people and gear up to speed in a 2001 so a properly propped big block will do even better.

If you use an elevation power loss calculator it shows about a 60 hp loss at altitude. This is all based on that your engine runs perfectly and makes the stated 330 hp. Stock small block makes anywhere from 240-260 hp pending what year and brochure you are looking at so lets say a median of 250 hp. In theory it should net you around 270 HP at your altitude if the engine is tuned for your altitude and is making the power it is supposed to be.

Sea level selection of propeller for a BBC BFN or 2001 would be a 13x13 (acme 430) a BBC is going to be running about 4500-4700 rpms on this prop which is right about where you want it to be. A small block 2001 should be running a 13x12 (acme 540). Your boat at elevation should still be making more power than a small block at sea level so if you wanted some more hole shot without completely killing any top end and cruising efficiency you would want something around 13x11.5.

That would be similar to swapping your sea level small block from a 540 to a 542. Even a 13x11 might still be in the wheel house pending on how the engine runs but I would venture a guess your WOT rpm with that 13x10.5 is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 5500 rpms.

Remember, this is all relative to how the engine is actually running which you will have no clue about until you do get a propeller on it and run it. I don't know if you are capable of checking things like all in timing but that may be necessary if it seems to be under performing. You want to keep a nice load on the engine especially during break in (which you will be doing and that 10.5 isn't going to load it much). Rings won't seat properly without a correct load reducing engine wear life and likely oil consumption and blow by.

Acme used to be pretty liberal with letting you give a propeller a whirl and returning it if it didn't perform for a swap as long as it wasn't damaged. Those days may have changed but it's worth asking the question.

Awesome man, I really appreciate all the advice! I've been around boats for a long time, but no experience with changing performance parameters and prop performance.
'85 2001 454
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 3:57pm
No problem. I think most would agree that might be in the wheelhouse. Real world performance should get you a better idea. Let us know what Acme says on the tryout.

They lost some really good guys there recently that would have been hugely helpful on the phone to you.
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 4:17pm

I prefer to surf (I know, this site isn't a huge fan of surfers) and some friends wakeboard, but in general we aren't barefoot or slalom skiers. So I would prefer more low end power, and I don't mind sacrificing top speed.

I know a 2001 isn't a "surf boat", but I've been riding a 2001 since 2005, and I just really love the 2001. Also not a huge fan of new, fancy, crazy expensive boats.

Engine is running right, and I just ordered a new distributor for it (previous engine had a non marine distributor) so I'll set the appropriate timing for the engine. Holley carb was freshly rebuilt 2 weeks ago and jetted for altitude.
So based on that I think the 913 will be a good fit for my uses.

As far as the 10.5 not putting a huge load on my engine, do you think I would be better off getting a different prop for the break-in period or putting a bunch of ballast to generate a load for the egine?
'85 2001 454
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 4:23pm
How did you like the performance of the 542 at lower elevation?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 4:31pm
Reminds me of another guy where lots of advice was given and little followed.
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 4:59pm

How did you like the performance of the 542 at lower elevation?

It did everything that was asked of it.. but I was left desiring just a little bit more low end grunt
'85 2001 454
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 5:33pm
Is the 1229 out of production?
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 6:07pm

Is the 1229 out of production?

No, it's still available.
'85 2001 454
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 6:38pm
According to my Acme chart the 1229 would provide a little more grunt than a 542 while keeping RPM from running away while the 913 looks like A LOT more grunt.
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 7:25pm

According to my Acme chart the 1229 would provide a little more grunt than a 542 while keeping RPM from running away while the 913 looks like A LOT more grunt.

Yeah, I agree it looks like a lot more grunt, but I'm also adding 5500' of elevation to that equation. If I were staying at sea level I think the 913 would be a bit over-the-top,
'85 2001 454
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 8:54pm
You're going another 5500' higher than when you ran the 542?
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 10:19pm

You're going another 5500' higher than when you ran the 542?

Correct. I just brought her up from East coast, at sea level, to my home in Colorado.
I engine blew on 3rd day at altitude (could've been any number of causes). But, the 2 times I did get out before the engine died, she felt pretty weak, and was in need of some adjustments - and that was a completely empty boat with just me and girlfriend in it.
'85 2001 454
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 6:40pm
Well, how's it run?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic