Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine shut off, again

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
foot@63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foot@63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine shut off, again
    Posted: July-07-2018 at 10:28pm
Well, some time ago I posted about distributor problems, my original dizzy was worn out, so I decided to upgrade with a new PerTronix flamethrower. This is for a 1986 2001; 351W. Had to get a reverse rotation gear, bore it out and machine a sleeve to fit the PerTronix. Well, worked great, until today. Engine shut off, no warning, will not fire. Had to be towed back to dock. Checked all probables, ignition switch, neutral switch, dead man switch, even changed out coil again, still no fire. Timing has not changed, rotor turns, it seems the module has crapped out. What is with these things. I’m considering going back to points, I was never stranded with points. Me and the boat had an understanding today, it ain’t stranding me on the water no mo!,, I will leave it in the basement. This distributor had less than 10 hours on it. Calling PerTronix tomorrow!, Any comments, suggestions? Frustrated beyond description.
Mike Bryan
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 10:40pm
I don't see any mention of whether you're getting roughly 12 volts to the coil and the ignition module

Does "no fire" mean no spark or that the engine wouldn't start?
foot@63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foot@63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 11:03pm
Yes, it has 12 volts to coil, verified by wife holding plug wire, by the way, what is the box mounted under dash that looks like a Ecuador?
Mike Bryan
foot@63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foot@63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 11:07pm
Meant ECU
Mike Bryan
foot@63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foot@63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 11:22pm
Checked this afternoon with starting fluid, still nothing. Are these modules prone to go bad because of concentrated heat sink under engine cover?
Mike Bryan
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 11:36pm
JAinNC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAinNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 11:49pm
I had a recent flamethrower issue. The rotor and distributor cap must have made contact and gotten slightly out of alignment and cracked the rotor thus causing the sweep to move. Thus fire but no start.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 11:53pm
3 Words: Davis Unified Ignition.

A little more expensive, but worth every penny (IMHO).

LINK

SKU: M35820RRRD

(Yes, KENO, it;s the red one)

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
foot@63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foot@63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2018 at 12:44am
Well, in doing some more research, found out your not supposed to leave ignition on longer than 30 seconds, well, I was adjusting electric choke before we left, and probably did so, cranked and ran fine before we left, am wondering did I fatally wound it doing this.
Mike Bryan
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2018 at 1:09am
The Flamethrower distributor comes standard with the Ignitor 2 module(red module) which is not affected if you leave the key in RUN with the engine off. Internal electronic wizardry shuts off power to prevent frying the module.

The original Ignitor module (black module) can be fried by leaving the key in RUN with the engine off

I still don't know if you had spark.

It sounds like maybe you lit up your poor wife holding the plug wire which would mean you have spark.

From your first post, how do you know the timing hasn't changed?

That box is probably the alarm module for oil, water temp and voltage alarms

Since you bored and sleeved a gear to fit your distributor shaft, it might be worth pulling the distributor to verify that all's good with the gear

foot@63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foot@63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2018 at 5:36pm
Update, after checking all connections, and grounds, called PerTronix tech line, and Carl said to remove grey tach wire from negative side of coil. Engine fired right up. It seems even though the tach was working, it is shorting to the coil and caused the module to not trigger. Ordered new tach today from Christine’s Marine (79.00); so all is good.This is probably what caused my original problem 2 years ago. To say I was floored by this grey wire revelation is an understatement. Thanks for all the replies, Mike,
Mike Bryan
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2018 at 8:32pm
And people always want to blame the Pete-tronics module

I think I spelled that wrong

Hopefully the new tach lets it work otherwise it'll be time to play "follow the little gray wire" from one end to the other looking for a ground
foot@63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foot@63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 6:37pm
Update, while waiting on new tach to arrive, I decided to hook up the grey wire( tach wire), back to the coil. I had already removed the original tach. Well, guess what, no start!! So, started looking for bad grounds, or shorts in the tach wire. Found it in the wiring behind the dash pod. I jumped the rubber junction block containing the tach wire, and viola, with the original tach back in, everything works perfectly. Took the boat out yesterday with the family, and it runs just like I remember it when it was new, just starts better, and better acceleration and power. This forum is the best !! Keno, you were right.
Mike Bryan
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 9:04am
Glad you're back in business
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic