NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

one header hotter

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DPUK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: one header hotter
    Posted: July-09-2018 at 6:43pm
well, just did a water test on our 1997 196 SN with 351 pcm ho motor. running on propane gas. the right hand riser is running hotter than the left, (looking at the motor from the front, had this header off recently and replaced the gasket, with the blanked hole towards the rear, not sure which one is rite, the temp gage was running at about 150 and the boat ran all afternoon without any other issues. so any ideas will be gratefully received
PS. Weather here is fabulous. looks like we have a summer this year.
Barefoot Gramp's
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 7:00pm
Dave,
The blanked hole in the gasket does go to the aft

See if you can get some good temp readings with an IR temp gun on both manifolds and report back. They can run at different temps.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peglegtoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peglegtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 9:38pm
I'd like to hear about the propane conversion on your boat. Was that something you facilitated?
DPUK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 4:25pm
Hi, the propane conversion was done when I bought the boat, the conversion on my boat takes away the carb, however I do think you can go for duel fuel which I think utilises your original carb, (Had one on a RV like that once). but this boat runs really well, although I am told you sacrifice a bit of power, not noticed by us as our other boat is a 78 SN with a 350 OMC in it.
The biggest bump for me is propane from the bulk tank at the lake is 30p per litre, and petrol is currently around 130p per litre, even if you filled up at the garage propane is still only about 75p per litre (the difference is what the government take for motor tax).
There are many companies offering conversions over here for around 12- 1500 pounds.
Afraid I'm not very technical but I am very happy with LPG and would not now buy a boat without it, oh gust a thought, our boat has 2 forklift gas bottles in the back, I have a filling loop so I can fill either bottle, and just swap to the second bottle when we run out.
I get about 38 litres per bottle, about 8.2 imp galls.
Good luck,
If I can be of further help, just give me a shout.
Cheers
Dave.
Barefoot Gramp's
DPUK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 4:38pm
Yah, thanks for that got the blanks the right way, just need to speak ta pal to get hold of a thermometer, interesting to hear they do sometimes run at different temps, maybe its water circulation.
Thanks for the input any way, if I manage to get some temps I will let you know.

Cheers
Dave
Barefoot Gramp's
peglegtoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peglegtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 5:59pm
Thanks for the backstory on the propane... I can see why you would run it with the price differential,... I had thought years back about converting a car, the most expensive part and inconvenient is purchasing and making space for the tank.
Could you post a pic of your boat with the tanks?
DPUK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 7:31pm
I have mounted the gas tanks where the petrol tank came out of, set on individual sled type mountings, basically two strips of timber about 35mm square glued and screwed to the floor with 2 small ratchet straps on each tank, I would have liked to put both openings in the top of the tanks facing forward but with FLT bottles they have to have the arrow on the bottom of the tank facing down, the filling point I just put a hole in the transom and mounted it there. I am looking to see if I can fit it inside the petrol filler, but that's a work in progress. what boat do you have

Cant seem to down;oad the photos, says file too big, may email if you want to let me have it

Barefoot Gramp's
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic