NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drivetrain rattling and shaking

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drivetrain rattling and shaking
    Posted: July-10-2018 at 1:24am
Hi guys,
last couple times out has this issue:
boat starts and runs fine. After 20 minutes or so of riding the engine starts lacking some power when pulling a rider out of the water. Takes a few seconds, and then all horses are back, and then runs fine at speed.
When changing riders though, having the engine turned off for a few minutes: engine starts just fine, but when putting in forward the whole engine/transmission/not sure what starts shaking and rattling. Not pretty. With a bit more gas it disappears, when accelerating same thing as before, some lack of power for a bit but then fine when riding.
I checked V-drive and transmission fluid and filled up V-drive a bit, but still same problem. I'll check 'm again though, to be sure.

Any ideas? Spark plugs are new. Next step plug wires and cap/rotor? Other suggestions?
Thanks!
Oh yeah: '97 Super Sport/GT40.
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 7:31am
I had a similar issue at the start of this year. Sudden rough,and I mean rough, running and major shaking. A new cap a rotor solved the problem. Old cap and rotor were a few years old and corrosion had built up over time.

D.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 11:51am
OK I'll be ordering those. Even if it doesn't solve it, good items to have.
Thanks for chiming in!
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 12:40pm
Couldn't be an issue with the cracked tube inside the FCC? Have you verified fuel pressure at idle and under load?
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 12:45pm
No I haven't, I'll put it on the to-check list.
Thanks very much!
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2018 at 12:02am
Took boat out two more times.
First day: after leaving the dock, engine died and was bit hard to start again. Ran a bit rough in the beginning, then fine, but idled pretty high at almost 2000rpm. When I was done with the clients I shut the motor off. Started again a bit later and idled fine too.
2nd day: Boat ran fine, idle normal, only suddenly died several times when idling but started right up every time. No other issues.

Sound familiar to anyone? Any other ideas?
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2018 at 10:18am
Any progress?
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2018 at 2:05pm
Nope, on vacation now. Will have new cap and rotor when I get back. Still have a new set of cables.
Doing clinics with David O'Caoimh about 2 weeks after I get back so I hope changing these items help. Though boat (still) runs good 99% of the time so it's not super urgent. Yet.
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2018 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by TRIP TRIP wrote:

Nope, on vacation now. Will have new cap and rotor when I get back. Still have a new set of cables.
Doing clinics with David O'Caoimh about 2 weeks after I get back so I hope changing these items help. Though boat (still) runs good 99% of the time so it's not super urgent. Yet.

Sounds good and good luck. I follow David's social media channels. His content is pretty original and fun to watch. Make sure to post a few pictures.

TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2018 at 1:15pm
Boat hasn't shaken and rattled since cap and rotor were changed :)
Occasionally still get high revs after stopping the boat/fallen rider. Though that hasn't happened last 3 or 4 times out. Odd...

Question: spark plug cables that I have laying around were for my previous boat ("85 2001 with 351). Do they work for the GT40?

Dave's visit was awesome by the way! Sick rider obviously, but also a genuinely super nice guy. But I'll make a separate post about that and link it here.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2018 at 11:00am
Originally posted by TRIP TRIP wrote:

Question: spark plug cables that I have laying around were for my previous boat ("85 2001 with 351). Do they work for the GT40?

Your GT40 has male terminals on the distributor cap and your 85, if it was the stock Prestolite distributor had female terminals so the answer would be no they won't fit.

Just grab a cable and try it to verify that they don't fit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic