Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine trouble

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mattschem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattschem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine trouble
    Posted: July-12-2018 at 10:29pm
Hi everyone, new to the forums but have read lots and received lots of help from previous posts.

So I have a 88 nautique 2001 with a 351 Cleveland and a holley E8JL-9510-CA carb in it. The other day I was on the lake and it just quit at half throttle. I managed to limp it back to the launch but it was sputtering like it was starved for fuel. (really jerky)

So since then I've changed my fuel filter, checked for bad gas (ran it from a jerry can bypassing the fuel filter), taken apart and cleaned my carb, replaced the fuel pump, Replaced the plugs and ran a timing light to confirm spark, and replaced the ignition resistor. I'm out of ideas! I can get it to run but only if I have the throttle open and i have to pump it to keep the engine going. Is there any advice out there? I'd hate to just keep throwing parts at it if it's something simple. it's even stumping my mechanic friends
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2018 at 11:16pm
That Holley number you gave is really a Ford part number and chances are really, really high that it's a 351 Windsor

The Holley list number is on the front of the air horn right under that Ford part number Here's a picture to show where it is ( the red thing is pointing at it)

What's under the distributor cap? points or electronic.

You said you replaced the resistor so chances are you have points, have you checked them?

Have you checked the rotor or the contacts inside the cap?
mattschem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattschem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2018 at 11:58pm

Contacts seem fine to me, I did look t them the other day as well.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2018 at 12:08am
Let’s see that cleveland
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2018 at 8:06am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

What's under the distributor cap? points or electronic.

Matt,
You may have misunderstood Ken's question? What's IN the distributor, a point set or an electronic module?

Welcome to CCfan. I feel we'll be able to get you back out on the water with a proper running engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic