Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cleaning Hull HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning Hull HELP!
    Posted: July-13-2018 at 9:54pm
Well I seem to have tried most everything and just cant get rid of all the crud on the bottom of my new 98 SN I just purchased.

I started with JJV's best and that did take quite a bit of the really ugly stuff off. But after 4 applications it just doesn't seem to be taking anything more.
then tried the Oxcilic acid treatment on a 4x4 are today and after an hour of applying and scrubbing it seems to be doing nothing.
Then went to the Lysol TB cleaner and Hydrogen Peroxide and that doesn't seem to touch the stuff left on the bottom of the hull.
What the heck should I try next. Has anyone ever wet sanded the crud off the bottom???
I've also hear of on/off and some others but are they going to really work.
Don't know where this boat was left but it is like there is cement on the bottom of it. Here is picture of the worst are that is still the thickest but around it still also has a thin layer that wont come off.
Im starting to wish I had not bought the dang boat.

84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2018 at 11:06pm
I don't know if it will work for you, but for the really tough stuff after everything else fails, I use undiluted muriatic acidstraight from the jug. It's around a 30 % concentration that way Don't get the "green" friendly to the environment stuff, get the good stuff.

Put it in a spray bottle and then get yourself dressed for chemical warfare.including goggles and a face shield., gloves and whatever else you can cover your body with.

The stuff is nasty when you spray it

It'll make you go blind, and gag all at the same time if you get a face full of the vapor.

One thing to keep in mind..........You don't spray into the wind.

Kinda reminds me of an old Jim Croce song in a way.

You spray it on, wait a few minutes, let the vapors clear and if the stain's not gone it just might be there for good. No scrubbing required.

It doesn't hurt the fiberglass at all either.

Keep a garden hose handy for rinsing the trailer and also rinsing yourself if things get nasty.

Wives, kids and pets have to watch from the house.

Like I said, it's nasty stuff but there's a good chance it'll work

It pretty much like toilet bowl cleaner on steroids   

Remember, I didn't tell you to do this, I just told you what I do   

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2018 at 11:17pm
A link with some info on muriatic acid

link
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2018 at 11:17pm
I used to use that on my American Skier. After sitting in the river for the summer it looked like it had a beard. Mary Kate's on and off works well too, I've seen it remove barnacles and rust stains. Don't get any of the above on you or your trailer. I got on and off on an aluminum trailer with no affect but I hosed it down first and again when I was done.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2018 at 11:20pm
And I might point out that both me and Gary are perfectly normal after years of using this stuff.

Just ask either of us
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2018 at 11:28pm
And don't even get me started on the benefits of carbon tet
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2018 at 12:47am
Instead of spraying, you might consider mounting a brush to the end of a 3 foot stick.   Use a plastic tub for the acid. I used the Works toilet cleaner but low Ph acid will work better.   This avoids the wind drift factor of spraying some.,

As stated above, full face, skin & respiratory protection is a must with any acid application!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2018 at 12:15pm
Before driving yourself too crazy, maybe just put the boat in the water for a bit and use it.

Some of those stains can loosen up a little bit when the boat is good and wet. You can take your favorite scrub brush with you and try working on the stain a little bit from in the water, while you're hanging out swimming by the boat.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2018 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Before driving yourself too crazy, maybe just put the boat in the water for a bit and use it.

Some of those stains can loosen up a little bit when the boat is good and wet. You can take your favorite scrub brush with you and try working on the stain a little bit from in the water, while you're hanging out swimming by the boat.
   +1
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2018 at 1:49pm
Hey guys,
Thanks for the additional Ideas. Just went and got some Muratic acid, and will test it on a really tough spot. . Going to put the boat in today and maybe leave it sit overnight. then when its 90 deg tomorrow can spend it in the water under the lift :)
Edit
Keno,
Tested a spot with the muratic acid and it is working good. Taking it slow and applying with a rag, no dripping. Keeping it wet and with a little rubbing it is all coming off to nice shiny Gel coat. 85 outside today so laying on the garage floor with the fan going is pretty nice optionfor the day. :)
Thaks for the tip.
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2018 at 9:08am
A high speed buffing wheel (not D.A.) with a quality wool pad and some Marine 31 Heavy cut compound will peal that right off.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2018 at 11:13am
OK, The bottom is clean as a whistle, Waxed twice and the boat is on the lift.
Finished up the cleaning in the water so I could clean where the trailer bunks were.
Was able to ski both Sat. and Sun. Life is good.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2018 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Mpost Mpost wrote:

Im starting to wish I had not bought the dang boat.

Pretty easy when you use the right stuff,alot easier than buffing or sanding like recommend on other sites
Now to erase those above thoughts Good luck with her,have fun.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2018 at 2:47pm
And you're still breathing and could see good enough to type the reply

A buffer might have been somewhat exciting in the water if ya' know what I mean.

And.........like Gary said, now you can be happy you bought the boat
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2018 at 9:06pm
You've got that right. Here is one to you guys.
Maybe its just me, (and a lot of others I read about on this site !) but I cant believe how some people take care of things. Ill be I spent 2-3 hours just cleaning up old wax around any non flat surface on the boat. Wife pulled me this morning again and Love the wake compared to my 84. Much softer
Thanks again.
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 11:26pm
I just wanted to add another comment to this thread. I had some stains that I thought were permanent, but after reading this I tried the muriatic acid and a spray bottle and the stains are gone

Thanks Ken and Gary
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic