NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1998 Sport Starting Entertainment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1998 Sport Starting Entertainment
    Posted: July-15-2018 at 9:55am
OK, this is unrelated to the relay issues that we (with great help from posters here) solved dealing with fuel pump relays earlier this year.

Note: My 1998 Sport has one of those battery shut off switches - the screw in type - on the positive terminal.

The boat is intermittently failing to start. Sometimes we hear a "click" sometimes we hear nothing, but the gauges indicate power is fine. Then I mess with the screw on the battery terminal once or twice and the boat starts. Not sure if messing with the screw on the battery actually makes the boat start or not, I just did it out on the water and now I do it often.

So the boat is starting intermittently. Any chance the screw-in thing is the problem? Or is it the starter? Any guesses?

Thanks in advance.

Charlie
CYS
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2018 at 10:41am
Charlie,
Yes, I'd say the battery disconnect is your problem. Gary Star had the same problem at Green Lake several years ago. It's allowing the small current through for your gauges but not the high amp draw of the starter. The same is true for poor battery to cable terminal connections. Why do you have the disconnect? Does the battery drain over time? If so, have you run a parasitic load test to determine what's draining the battery? Also, guessing isn't going to confirm the problem. Get the VOM out and get some volt and Ohm readings.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2018 at 5:43pm
8122pbrainard thanks for the reply. I am in the process of checking it out and wanted someone's knowledge/history if such a problem actually existed....and I see it does. Thanks again.
CYS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic