NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tach not reading correctly

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tach not reading correctly
    Posted: July-15-2018 at 11:46pm
Well, here it is Ken ... proof that you were right, once again

While checking things out and re-timing the engine this morning I snapped a few pics of the RPM differences at a few different ranges. As you can see, at idle it reads nearly perfect. As the rpm climbs though it starts to fall off and read a bit slower that actual. Couldn't really tell in the driveway if it continues this curve because I didn't want to push the engine that hard with no load.

And to be sure that digital was reading correctly, my EZtach confirmed the same. Crappy picture because the lead wasn't long enough to get very close to the boat tach, but you can sort of make out that it reads just above 2100

EDIT:   Found a PDF from the manufacturer site on tach calibration tonight so It should be an easy fix. Probably could have (should have) done this today while I had it on the hose but time just wasn't on my side. My anniversary is tomorrow and I have a meeting that's impossible to get out of so we planned to celebrate today. Got a bit of a cold shoulder and the dreaded 'evil eye' as it was when I told her I was spending the morning working on the boat. So alas, this is a project for another day
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 8:40am
Can't help but notice 717 rpm in the driveway, no load.

Seems lower than previously mentioned before your temp sensor "rewiring".

Also seems right

Idling in gear will be somewhere in the 600-650 range most likely
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 5:15am
I have had two boats with Tach issues. Both would read wacky numbers the first or second time out each year. After that they would read correctly. Both would read lower than correct RPM for a while and then suddenly operate correctly the rest of the year.
Little bit of rust maybe somewhere? Don't Know the cause but I had this issue in my Malibu for 20 years and again in my Nautique.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 1:22am
Ken - Yep, lower. Getting the engine out of SLOW mode seems to have done more than just calm the rolling idle.

Mark - Well that would be nice in a way - not that I'd want to put up with that for the next 20 years    But I'm going to try the fine tune procedure Saturday morning. Hopefully it won't go wonky later, after I correct it   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 9:15am
You were never in SLOW mode. That's a different animal

That would have limited you to around 2500 rpm's.

They didn't really have a name, just said that with bad sensor input, a default value was used and idle was jacked up to 800 rpm by the computer.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

But I'm going to try the fine tune procedure Saturday morning. Hopefully it won't go wonky later, after I correct it   

Don't forget your tweaker Joe

I see some Faria instructions that say to use a 5/64ths allen wrench and others that say the newer ones after 2015 or so use a 000 Phillips jewelers screwdriver
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2018 at 3:36am
Thanks Ken - didn't realize there was a change. I'll look in to it, but I have both so should be covered.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic