Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First V Drive/need some guidance

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
forwheeler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forwheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First V Drive/need some guidance
    Posted: July-16-2018 at 1:11pm
Hello all. First time v drive owner here. We bought a 2011 Super Air Nautique and took it out for the first time yesterday. Such a nice boat!

I had some general questions about the boat.

1. We discovered that it can be a challenge to get on the trailer. Any tips or tricks that would make it easier?

2. Do you guys drive the boat all the way up under power or float is gently on?

3. It came with extra ballast, would I be making a mistake if I took it out for more storage? I am 37 with four small children, so it gets tight in there, would like more storage.

4. When surfing, what is the easy way to drop the rope back to them? We are experiencing a challenge getting that done, as it drags right behind the boat and doesn't get close to them. I found a slow approach is ok, then leave the drivers seat and manually toss it to them. Is this really the best way?

5. Does everyone tie down the boat during transit? We drive 40 minutes to get to water, but the marina I bought it from says no one ties it down on the back because it is so heavy. I did tie it down because it jumps if I don't.

6. Are there any option for additional racks? We have an air chair, 3 wakeboards, a kneeboard, a surf board, 2 sets of skis and an innertube. We are running out of storage quick! I was thinking there might be a way to add another set of racks maybe on top of the tower?

7. Can you tow at 70mph+ with the canopy out? I am getting mixed answers.

8. What about mild discoloration on one of the seats? It looks like a little mold, is there any recommended products to get this off?

9. What are the recommended maintenance intervals?

I realize that is a lot of questions, but I was told this is the place to get them answered. Thank you guys in advance, happy to be a correct craft owner!

2011 Super Air Nautique
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2018 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by forwheeler forwheeler wrote:

Hello all. First time v drive owner here. We bought a 2011 Super Air Nautique and took it out for the first time yesterday. Such a nice boat!

I had some general questions about the boat.

1. We discovered that it can be a challenge to get on the trailer. Any tips or tricks that would make it easier?

More details would be helpful here. What type of trailer, does it have a winch or bow stop. what were the issues?

With a bow stop you need to power load (drive the boat on and off the trailer). Power loading isn't always allowed at certain ramps as it damages the slip.

If the ramp is steep it can be hard to get the boat loaded, too deep and it is hard to line the trailer up (as the fender and trailer guides are under water, too shallow and if can be hard to get the boat up the trailer.

If the boat doesn't slide on/off the trailer easily then you can use a product called liquid rollers. This product makes the carpet more slippery and will help with getting the boat on and off the trailer easier. Don't apply it to the whole bunk. Put it on the front section that stays out of the water, when loading. This will help prevent the boat from sliding off the trailer when you don't want it too.

2. Do you guys drive the boat all the way up under power or float is gently on?

I drive the boat mostly but I have a private ramp and it's steep. They don't seem to mind the power loading. If I use a public launch I will try and winch the boat on. I have been less successful with this on my new boat (2009 230) but I just replaced the carpet and winch on the trailer so this would be easier. Haven't tested the new setup yet.

3. It came with extra ballast, would I be making a mistake if I took it out for more storage? I am 37 with four small children, so it gets tight in there, would like more storage.

Lots of people do this. If you plan to surf you will need the extra weight so you don't want to have no ballast. You can remove the hard plastic tanks and replace them with ballast bags. The bags take up no room when not in use but if you need to add ballast , then you can still use the system. Check out Wakemakers.com they will be able to tell you what you need.

4. When surfing, what is the easy way to drop the rope back to them? We are experiencing a challenge getting that done, as it drags right behind the boat and doesn't get close to them. I found a slow approach is ok, then leave the drivers seat and manually toss it to them. Is this really the best way?

Tell the rider to learn to paddle the board and have them paddle to the back of the boat. Other than that it's just practice to get the rope as close as possible.

5. Does everyone tie down the boat during transit? We drive 40 minutes to get to water, but the marina I bought it from says no one ties it down on the back because it is so heavy. I did tie it down because it jumps if I don't.

Some do and some don't. If the drive is more then 10 minutes I will usually tie my boat down. Under normal conditions tying down is not required but may help if you need to hit the brakes or get into an accident. Personally I don't like trusting the whole boat to just the bow eye. If you use the liquid rollers recommended above then I'd tie it down.

6. Are there any option for additional racks? We have an air chair, 3 wakeboards, a kneeboard, a surf board, 2 sets of skis and an innertube. We are running out of storage quick! I was thinking there might be a way to add another set of racks maybe on top of the tower?

You can add board storage to the Bimini. Other then that I am not sure what the options are with different towers. What tower to you have?

7. Can you tow at 70mph+ with the canopy out? I am getting mixed answers.

I don't think you are supposed too Most Bimini's are designed to hold at the boat top speed (4o t0 50 MPH).

8. What about mild discoloration on one of the seats? It looks like a little mold, is there any recommended products to get this off?

Try any of the Marine mold stain removers. Starbrite/Marine 31/3m all have options. Clean with that and try get some sun on the spot . Also look for mold issues in other area's. You may want to give the boat a good clean to mitigate and mold that may still be present.

9. What are the recommended maintenance intervals?

Read your PCM manual for details (manual can be found on the PCM site). Most items are either every 50 hours (Engine Oil and Filter) or 100 hours/once per season (everything else).
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2018 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

[QUOTE=Blamey] Some do and some don't. If the drive is more then 10 minutes I will usually tie my boat down. Under normal conditions tying down is not required but may help if you need to hit the brakes or get into an accident. Personally I don't like trusting the whole boat to just the bow eye. If you use the liquid rollers recommended above then I'd tie it down.

You may want to check your state law. Some require the aft end to be tied to the trailer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
forwheeler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forwheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2018 at 4:28pm
Thank you for taking the time to give some guidance.

The issues with the trailer (roller with a winch) are that boat does not steer well unless under power, which comes in super fast. I nudged the guides, which sent me flying off to one side, almost whacking the dock (note to self, don't be so close to the dock next time). The boat is so heavy I have to back in super deep to get it loaded, to the point that my back bumper (chevy 2500 4x4) is in the water, and the front still has to be winched up. I feel like there is a better way.

With the ballast, I should have been more clear. It has the factory 1200lbs hard sided ballast, with an additional 800 pounds in soft bags above that, which when full completely fill that storage area on either side of the motor and in the bow. I was planning on removing the bags and leaving the hard sided. Is this a mistake to remove the soft bags?

2011 Super Air Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic