Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1992 Ski Nautique Start Up

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
karpedmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karpedmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1992 Ski Nautique Start Up
    Posted: July-17-2018 at 5:02pm
I have a 92 Ski Nautique that has trouble starting up. The only way I can get it to start up when the engine is cold is to spray engine starter fluid into the carburetor. If I spray starter fluid the engine fires up and stays on as long as I leave the boat in gear. Once the engine is hot I can simply idle the boat and the engine stays on.

Does that sound like a carburetor or ignition system problem, or neither?
Jason from Atlantic Beach, Florida

1992 Ski Nautique CB
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 5:17pm
Jason,
Sounds like you may have a choke adjustment problem. Is it closed when the engine is cold? Do you pump the throttle at all when cold to gets some gas into the engine with the accelerator pump in the carb?

BTW, starting fluid is the absolute worst thing you can use on an engine. It has a tendency to wash the oil off the cylinder walls.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 5:20pm
Have you checked to see if the accelerator pump is working properly? Are you getting a shot of fuel when you pump the throttle?

Edit: Pete beat me to it
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
karpedmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karpedmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 5:21pm
Thanks for the heads up on the starter fluid issue. I actually just stumbled on a thread about the Choke Not Closing Fully and will try it out once the monsoon passes. You were the one that walked that gentleman through it. I will try that and report back, seriously thanks for the starter fluid information.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43097&title=choke-not-closing-fully-when-cold

1992 Ski Nautique CB
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 6:14pm
A couple pumps prior to touching the starter makes all the difference.. (regarding cold start)

Depends what generation you are, but anyone taught to drive the last twenty five years is told don't touch the throttle just crank. it. well it wont start

An activated choke in the summer heat is a bit unnecessary and sounds like causing more problems on a lukewarm restart just to possibly correct a technique issue, so take that under advisement

I personally don't want my choke activate until ambient in the sixteesF
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 6:20pm
Amen
karpedmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karpedmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 9:57am
Adding a few more pumps before starting and slightly adjusting the choke seems to have corrected the start up problem. Started up first thing this morning with no need for starter fluid. It still idles a bit rough however, I'll search the forums for suggestions on that.

Thanks again everyone.

1992 Ski Nautique CB
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 10:11am
Originally posted by karpedmm karpedmm wrote:

It still idles a bit rough however, I'll search the forums for suggestions on that. .

Jason,
Rough after it warms up? If it's only before it warms up completely, I've found it to be common. Some will say that Ford's are cold blooded!

Great news to wean you off the starting fluid.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 11:14am
Yeah no more huffing for you
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 12:37pm
Mine is a little hard to start these days.   Do you experts just disable the choke? If so what is the preferred method?   I definitely never see anything near 60 degrees ambient. I'm lucky if its below 80.
91NaughtyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 3:43pm
That's good news on it starting. Has the carb ever been rebuilt? I just did mine and it runs like a brand new boat. It is amazing the difference it makes.
1991 Ski Nautique
(Previous)1984 Ski Nautique 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 3:54pm
All of my chokes are disabled.
karpedmm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karpedmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 3:55pm
I have not had it rebuilt. If I have any more problems that will be my next step. Do you remember about what you paid to have it rebuilt?

1992 Ski Nautique CB
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

All of my chokes are disabled.

All my chokes work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

All my chokes work.

But you live north of Canada... I have no working chokes except on my truck and I hate it, this time of year I turn the key on a few minutes before starting if at all possible,   If I was a better man I would adjust it when the seasons change but I am not.

My 100+ hour a year boat doesn't even have a choke horn...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
91NaughtyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by karpedmm karpedmm wrote:

I have not had it rebuilt. If I have any more problems that will be my next step. Do you remember about what you paid to have it rebuilt?

Jason,

I actually did the rebuild myself. All of the mechanics around me were 4 weeks out so I decided to take it on myself.   I am by no means a gear head, but mechanically inclined, so I did it myself. It is not hard to do at all!    SKIDIM has the rebuild kits

Rebuild Kit SKIDIM

I only saw about 3 areas that were "gotchas" and once I figured those out it was a pretty easy job. PM me if you want more info.

Gary
1991 Ski Nautique
(Previous)1984 Ski Nautique 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic