Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water leak in the exhaust system

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water leak in the exhaust system
    Posted: July-17-2018 at 8:13pm
My new to me 98 SN has what I believe to be fiberglass going from the exhaust manifold down to the bilge and into the muffler?
I noticed a funny pattern on these pipes when I looked at the boat but assumed it was something to do with the covering used Today after skiing I opened the engine cover and the thought struck me that the pattern looked different between the two sides and looks like water stains.
Sure enough I fired up the engine and there are little droplets of water forming on the outside of the pipes and eventually running down into the bilge.
So my big question. Is this normal? Or does this happen after a period of time and they should be replaced????? Or some inventive additional cooling system developed for my boat ?????    

84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 8:51pm
When I bought my '89 the invertaflow muffler was doing the same thing. I suspect that it had been overheated at some time which degraded the muffler.   I took it off and re-glassed it the best I could.   It still "sweated" a little but was much better than when I bought it.   I eventually did a muffler delete so it's not a problem anymore. You may want to consider buying new ones if they are still available.

edit: Here is a picture of mine. It was covered in pin size holes.

bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 9:04pm
My ‘89s invertalow had a slight crack/leak as well on the starboard side. I was able to repair mine. I bet you can fix yours if you re-glass it.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 9:26pm
Here's a link to a fairly recent thread about those tubes on a 98 SN and some peoples fixes

link

And...........if you decide you want new ones, here's a link to them at Nautique Parts

link
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2021 at 6:53pm
I see I never updated this post with my resolution. The follwoing spring I took out the fiberglass down pipes to repair them for the seepage. They were toast. Mushy on the ends and lots of fiberglass matting and strands hanging inside of them. I suspect the a PO maybe overheated  it at one time. Replaced all the hoses too. The hosees came off fairly easy with some heat from a hair drier and little prying. I removed the doghouse and flooring to make things more accessible. I dont have a picture of the tubes but still have them somewhere and could ge ta pic if need be. 
Here are the new one installed. 

84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic