NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Closed system problems on a big block

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Closed system problems on a big block
    Posted: August-07-2018 at 7:40pm
I have been fishing in a Novi for a year or so. It has a mercruiser 454 and half the system is closed. We serviced the exchanger for the block and issues have arisen. Seems on shutdown and perhaps while we are running we are losing fresh water. No signs of loss in the bilge area. Runs at 165 temp hard no problem. This morning we started our day 10 miles out and no start. Wouldn't turn over. I was thinking thermal lock but checked that last. Sure enough some cylinders full of water. We had a tow back in and tomorrow will be taking it apart a little. I wonder if the exchanger might have been compromised during the cleaning or if we need to look to the risers for the answer. Help appreciated.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2018 at 8:14pm
Jack,
With a half fresh water system, the manifolds are still cooled by raw water so, its not a problem with the heat exchanger. I feel you are on the correct path looking at the exhaust manifolds. Did they also acid clean the raw water side besides the fresh water side? If so, that may have caused some manifold damage?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2018 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jack,
With a half fresh water system, the manifolds are still cooled by raw water so, it's not a problem with the heat exchanger. I feel you are on the correct path looking at the exhaust manifolds. Did they also acid clean the raw water side besides the fresh water side? If so, that may have caused some manifold damage?

Exhaust manifolds/mixers damage +1

But....exhaust damage wouldn't cause loss of fresh water unless heat exchanger is damaged too. I bet you cleaned out all that nice rust/scale that was blocking your salt damaged exchanger and mixer holes. - Those holes are nice, clean and open now.

A leak-down test would help you feel better about the block AND $800.00-$1,000.00 exchanger.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2018 at 9:15pm
The input will be helpful. Thanks to Pete and Steve. I agree it needs a leak down to find the cause. Perhaps the exchanger was compromised on the cleaning. Very possible. Still I wonder if there is a riser or manifold problem did the cleaning of the exchanger exacerbate it? We were running just a bit high on the temps like 180 under load when we decided to do the cleaning.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 7:58am
Which cylinders were found to have water?
I think at this point your possibilities to the source of that water are...
-riser gaskets
-exhaust manifold
-head gasket
-cracked block
-cracked head

Last three could be checked with pressure check of closed loop I believe although there are more familiar people on this but me. Let’s hope it’s in the exhaust though...
Salt Life!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 10:13pm
Today we sent the exchanger to the radiator shop to be tested. Return tomorrow. Took off the risers and they are toast. Should have serviced some time ago.. Found water had infiltrated into the pan but not mixed with the oil. We drained all that and added new oil. Removed the remaining plugs and were able to capture some water which had a salty flavor so came from a raw water source. Flushed cylinder walls and spun it over with both wd40 and ATF. Tomorrow the new risers and hope no further damage. Since the manifolds are cooled by the closed system we hope they are ok.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 10:19pm
How about gasket damage from over heat at the riser /manifold intersection Steve, perhaps the fresh water loss was there? Fresh water in the manifolds and raw water in the risers could have mixed and exited?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 11:39pm
Jack I have been told risers only last about 5 years in the salt fyi
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Jack I have been told risers only last about 5 years in the salt fyi

We were told 2 years Gary. They certainly don't last long and these ones were bad. Boat came from Maine a couple years back. Have been replacing hoses and other stuff as needed and trying not to get broke down. Sometimes we are out 40 miles and too deep to anchor and a problem in the Gulf Stream could send us up to the carolinas LOL. We had a leak on an oil line out there that almost did just that till I made a nice speedy repair with a coors beer can, some 5200 and a couple radiator clamps. Repair was so good that we stayed and got our fishing in before returning home. Not sure a Busch can would have worked as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 10:55am
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

a mercruiser 454 and half the system is closed.

Since the manifolds are cooled by the closed system we hope they are ok.

Jack,
Are you sure regarding the manifolds? You mentioned a half system first but then a full system later where the manifolds are also fresh water cooled.

Half system:

Just to be safe, maybe the manifolds should be pressure checked too?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 11:27am
That's why I went with the Hi Teks. Dad flushed his after each run,got 7 years on the first set,5 on the second and sold the boat before the 3rd set needed to be changed. Every two years helps justify the price Jack. Is the Novi a I/O ?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 12:05pm
Gary,
I don't recall what stainless grade the Hi Teks are made of.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 12:06pm
I don't remember a lot of things.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 12:13pm
I can't remember either and I didn't have a 64 oz great bigun'
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

a mercruiser 454 and half the system is closed.

Since the manifolds are cooled by the closed system we hope they are ok.

Jack,
Are you sure regarding the manifolds? You mentioned a half system first but then a full system later where the manifolds are also fresh water cooled.

Half system:

Just to be safe, maybe the manifolds should be pressure checked too?

I was wrong full system. Manifolds cooled by closed loop.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

That's why I went with the Hi Teks. Dad flushed his after each run,got 7 years on the first set,5 on the second and sold the boat before the 3rd set needed to be changed. Every two years helps justify the price Jack. Is the Novi a I/O ?

It is a inboard direct drive. 30ft. Could use stabilizers for sure. Narrow beam and little or no chine. Good lookin work boat though LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic