Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gauges

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
CCxHYPERLITEx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCxHYPERLITEx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gauges
    Posted: August-09-2006 at 12:42am
hey guys i have a 89 ski nautique and i want to know if there is a place to get the airguide gauges. anybody sellin some?i would like to have some chrome ones same as the ones now.mine are shot.there no good now. any guidance will be helpful!i apreciate it!
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 10:38am
I've seen some on ebay but they only go to 50 mph.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCxHYPERLITEx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 10:49am
thank you
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 11:03am
Check with hspore (Heath) on this site. He had 2 for sale. Topic-parts for sale,(page 2) ebay airguide speedos.
Greg

86 BFN
RacerX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RacerX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 9:56pm
Are you sure they're both totally shot? Maybe the tubes are just clogged.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCxHYPERLITEx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 2:07pm
almost totally sure.how can i check?
RacerX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RacerX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 10:04pm
One way to do this if you're flying solo is to disconnect both tubes at the speedos, and see if you get water squirting out while the boat is moving. You should be getting a relatively strong stream at around 20mph. I'd hate to see somebody give up a couple of potentially good speedos due to clogged tubes. I've actually had to replace my entire tube because of a clog I couldn't get out once.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCxHYPERLITEx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 10:15pm
ok i might be goin out to the lake for the weekend so i might be able to check.dont the gauges work on peto tubes which run off air?why would they be squirtin out water?
RacerX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RacerX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 11:49pm
The speedo system runs off of water pressure. Think about where your pitots are located- underneath the platform on the lower part of the transom, right? They're submerged all the time. The water pressure through the pitot goes all the way up to the speedo, and that's what makes the needle on the gauge move.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCxHYPERLITEx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 11:51pm
ahh ok stupid question but where does that water return to after it moves that needle?
RacerX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RacerX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 8:06am
Some of the water will stay in the tubes, but most of it will just leak back out of the pitot. The water doesn't make a loop like a fuel system with an electric pump would. Imagine blowing up a ballon- there's only one path for the air to go in and one path back out.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 9:45am
Actually, the speedos work on air pressure. the water simply compresses the air in the line. It is best to keep the water out of the speedometer(s). The airguide stabilizer tube works via air pressure to remove needle bounce/fluctuation. Water is a non-compressible, so if water got into the tube, it would do nothing to remove the needle fluctuations. Thus the main reason the stab. tubes are mounted vertical...to drain any water that works its way into the line due to air leaks.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 9:54am
all you have to do is remve the gauge and blow some air into the fitting on the back and if the needle moves its fine and you have a bad hose, balance tube or clogged pitote.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCxHYPERLITEx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 12:14pm
wow u guys just saved me some $$$ because i did that earlier and the needle moved so i guees i have bad hoses?
RacerX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RacerX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

Actually, the speedos work on air pressure. the water simply compresses the air in the line.

Ok, now you're getting technical, but we're both correct here. Water does, in fact, travel all the way up the tube to the back of the speedo. It then pushes against a diaphram which in turn pushes the air that works the speedo. One of the major causes of failure is when this diaphram gets a pinhole in it allowing water to enter, then the water freezes during the winter. This causes the diaphram to burst and renders the speedo useless.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 12:33pm
Well, I suppose you could be correct, but it just does not make sense to me. If you are correct, then there is no need for the stabilizer tube as water is a non-compressible as I stated before. I will look at my spare (and disassembled) airguide speedos tonight and refresh my memory, but I seem to remember that the speedo works just like a tire pressure gauge in that the air pressure tries to straighten a curved copper (or similiar metal) tube/chamber. A little chain is hooked to the end of the air tube/chamber that pulls the needle around its pivot point. No diaphram that I can remember.

Also, on my boat, the stabilizer tubes are mounted high on the inside of the transom. Far enough away from the pitots that water will not make its way to them...but just in case it does (due to an air leak), they are mounted vertical.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 2:37pm
this is going to be rough, backing up Dave, but racerX is all wet and if there is water in the tube then it's has a hole in it or the gauge. Water will not be at the back of the guage unless something is wrong. Water should not get past the balance tube if it gets to the gauge it will not drain from the gauge and then when it will freezes and expand and then it's toast.

Water does go through the pitote and then compresses the air in the line and applies pressure against the diaphram in the gauge. The amount of water is very small and travels maybe 6" into the tube only and not all the way to the gauge if it did the pressure would have to be pretty high to compress that much air in to such a small space and that's not going to happen.
jholton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jholton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 2:50pm
Wow!! Water and fire in complete agreement. Never thought I would see the day.
David and 79 do you guys have a warm fuzzy feeling???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCxHYPERLITEx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 2:53pm
so what am i supposed to check?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 3:02pm
[QUOTE=79nautique] this is going to be rough, backing up Dave,<snip>QUOTE]

Will:
disconnect the hose from teh back of the speedo. Connect a short piece of hose and apply regulated (like from a bicycle pump) air pressure. Not too much or you might damage the speedo, so maybe an air compressor is not a good idea. If the speedo needle moves around the dial the more pressure you add, then it is working and you need to fix or replace the hose from the pitot to the speedo.

I seem to remember someone posting speed readings for a given air pressure. I printed it, but cannot seem to find it now. Maybe do a search.

If the speedo does not work, you can open it up an find out why. Might be a rupture air tube do to freezing or corrossion. Might just be stuck mechanicals. To open up the speedo unit, roll it back and forth on the work table while apply pressure on the bezel with the palm of your hand. Eventually, the bezel will seperate from the body. they are not glued together.

Let us know what you find out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCxHYPERLITEx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 3:35pm
ill check to night thank you again

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 3:49pm
also remove the rear seat and back panel and take a look at the balance tubes on either side of the gas tank mounted on the transom. Make sure there isn't any bulges in the metal tubes and that the lines are connected and not dry rotted. Take a small piece of wire and run through the openings of the pitote to clean them out, put a wrench on the nut where the tube connects to the pitote and make sure it's tight, don't strong arm it it's just plastic. Also take an allen wrench with you and tighten the small screw in the face of the dial, center lower part of glass with rubber gromet, incase someone has backed it way off that is how you adjust the needle for it to rear the right speed.
RacerX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RacerX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by jholton jholton wrote:

Wow!! Water and fire in complete agreement. Never thought I would see the day.

Maybe... except for the part about the diaphram inside the gauge.
I'd sure like to know how anyone can know for sure how far water can flow through that dark gray tube. X-Ray vision, maybe? Guys, I'm not trying to start a pissing contest- my mind is still open about this. I just know that hydraulic force will overcome pneumatic force much easier than vice versa since, as David stated, water isn't compressable. Maybe the water doesn't reach the back of the gauge- I don't know, but it has to flow further than 6" into the tube. I'd certainly be interested in hearing a physics major's point of view on this.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 9:15am
will try this take a empty clear straw, put your finger over the end of it to seal it and see how far you can blow water up into and that will give you your physics lesson for the day.
RacerX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RacerX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 11:17am
I see. However, in order to perform a more accurate simulation, rather than capping the end of the straw with your finger, you'd have to have something in place to simulate the diaphram inside the gauge, like maybe a small balloon. That being said, I think I see what you're saying- the distance the water can travel is relative to how far the diaphram can expand, plus however much the air inside the line can compress, right?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 12:39pm
not exactly

its more the amount of pressure it takes to compress air in a given space not how much pressure it takes to expand something. The diaphram has a spring rate to it and gives some but is not realvent it is the force applied against the air and the force the compressed air applies to the diaphram.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2006 at 9:06am
Guys:

Darn, I forgot to look at my old speedometers over the weekend. But, and this may be getting picky, I really do not think that there is a diaphram in the speedo. If there was, we would be replacing speedos regularly as the diaphrams got old and weak.

The speedo work like a tire pressure guage. I believe there is a curved (and flattened) copper tube. As the air pressure builds, the tube is forced into a straighter position. The speedo needle is connected to the end of the tube via a chain.

Again, I will try to take a look at my old speedos. Also, I suppose it could be that not all airguides are created equal.

FWIW: water in the tube 6" is probably fairly accurate. If not, it is not much further.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2006 at 9:51am
dude your bringing down agreeing all of the time
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic