NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Hitch bolts

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Hitch bolts
    Posted: August-09-2006 at 2:51pm
I am starting to put my CC trailer back together after repaint etc. I had to cut or destroy most all of the bolts in taking the trailer apart. Is there anything special about the 2 bolts that hold the hitch on? Do they need to be high strength or anything like that or just replace with std galv. bolts?
Greg

86 BFN
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 7:34pm
grade 8 would be cheap insurance,bolts are cheap correct craft boats are not!!!!!!!!!!!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 10:23am
I think standard bolts are fine. Because:
1. There are two large bolts (1/2"?) minimum.
2. The two bolts are in double shear.
3. Never have I heard warnings of using grade 8 bolts when purchasing new couplings.

So, the two bolts share the load in four places. It would take an enormous amount of force to shear a standard 1/2" bolt in this configuration.

Just my $.02. Certainly nothing wrong with using grade 8 bolts.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 3:37pm
Thanks guys- I wasn't thinking of 4 shear points David. I was thinking of 2. Looking at it that way, I think the std bolts are more than adequate. I can get the std galv bolts at Lowes.
Greg

86 BFN
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 4:46pm
Great advice again and so far off base again.

You need to be using at least grade 5 bolts or your boat and trailer will be passing you going down the highway. All trailer bolts that are used to attach the winch, winch post, bow stop, leaf springs, rollers, bunks, tongue and trailer hitch have to to be at least grade 5. On heavier applications they are grade 8 bolts. Grade 5 bolts are available everywhere they sell hardware. There fine for running boards, guide post and fenders where there is no load but that is the only place everywhere elese has to a hardened bolt, washer and nuts.

Now if you don't give a sh*t about your boat then use the cheap sh*t suggested by some others. It's not a matter of shear it's a matter of strength and yield of the material and holding or breaking.

Use the cheap stuff then go and lock up the brakes in a panic stop and count how long it takes your boat to shove your head through the windshield and I bet you cann't get to five then or count at all afterwards.

Very foolsih using common bolts in this application.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 4:55pm
jimmy buffett said it very well; there is no dumb ass vacine,use the best your wallet will allow.......... boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

jimmy buffett said it very well; there is no dumb ass vacine,use the best your wallet will allow.......... boat dr

second that put it's really a matter of saftey than being cheap and an extra 5 bucks never killed anyone.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 6:20pm
Ok, after a difference of opinions I looked on the Eastern marine website. I found a technical section that shows pretty detailed instructions on a lot of issues. Here are is the link for installing trailer hitches (coupler). The way I read it std bolts can be used if using 4 bolts & grade 5 if using 2 bolts.

Coupler Installation
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 6:29pm
Think again,

Those are for low weight ratings, class I-III. Yours should be for a class IV and I would use grade 5's minimum regardless your talking about a couple of bucks for piece of mind. Don't skimp when it comes to your families safty or for the classic your towing.
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 6:35pm
Using logic here, you have to agree with 79' and even boat dr. Why would you skimp and use even $20 dollar cheaper bolts when you have just refurbed the trailer and want so piece of mind... To me, it's not even a thought of wasted time researching it....A trailer goes through to much punishment.... Just do it !!!

My 2 cents..

Moj'
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 6:58pm
kinda makes you wonder ,what did you use for the spring bolts,shackleand what abuot u-bolts for the axle,did you replace the spring pinch bolt, all of these are grade 5 or better,but what the hell its only money........ boat dr
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 8:32pm
I understand what you are saying about using the higher grade bolts, but I sure don't need to upgrade to a class 4 coupling (8,000 lb). The original is only a class 2 (3,500 lb). I am only pulling a 16' skier, not a wakeboard boat.
Greg

86 BFN
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 10:07pm
    I agree with going with a higher grade bolts as it wont rust out as fast either. I also like to use 4 individual bolts, washers, and locknuts if access is obtainable. 2 long bolts straight thru dont tighten well as it wants to flatten the box tubing. Grade 2 (no dashes on head) or 304 stainless I personally would stay away from totally. My .02 and 1/2 worth.

Jeff...
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 9:19am
Maybe I should clarify what I meant by "standard". I meant bolts that you buy at the Home Depot, Lowes, or the Auto Parts store. I never really have paid attention to the grade of these bolts, so I called them standard.

Oh, 79 Nautique...sigh!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 10:04am
your such a d*ck, I guess the F stands for F ck wade.

David you've got to be the cheapest basterd around and not very knowledgable when it comes to doing the job the right way cheap ass.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 10:05am
Sigh!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 10:06am
...and yeah, you must be right. Have you seen my boat! And yes, just the response I expected from you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic