NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Training Skis...What size?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jholton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jholton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training Skis...What size?
    Posted: August-10-2006 at 12:06pm
Well with everyone talking about teaching their kids to ski, I think mine are ready too.
My youngest daughter is 7 and oldest is 11, oddly enough they hate to tube but love to boat. Rose, my youngest is much more athletic than here older sister Jasmine. Soooo I'm going to buy a pair of skis but I only Slalom and have not skied on double skis since I was about 8. I need help with size, Rose is about 40 pounds and Jazz is about 80ish not sure exactly?? Or do you guys think they should go right to a Wakeboard? I don’t Wakeboard for crap "OLDSKOOL" so I don’t know what kind of teacher I would be.

Found this pair on ebay. Any good?
training skis
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 12:19pm
Teach them to ski first. If you start on a wakeboard, and they'll never learn to ski. Can't help you with size. I have three or four set of kids skis that I've bought at garage sales over the years, in different sizes. Don't think I've ever paid more than $10 a set, and I got one pair for $1. I would put the small one on my smallest set, and the older child on my third largest set. BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 12:28pm
I'm sure lots of opinions. We have taught lots of people to ski. The biggest problem for newbies, I think, is ski managment (getting the skis on, then keeping them straight in the water).    I simply tell people to keep their skis between themselves and the boat and they will ski, let them feel the pressure in their legs. The driver to keep the right amount of tension on the line, too little and the skis float out of position, too much and they can't get them into position.
Once I've started pulling, if I see the skier tracking straight, I then get them out of the water, up on a plane, as quickly as possible without yanking them out of the skis. Some people get the hang of it immediately, others require the patience of Job. But your girls being light will help alot. (Easier on the arms, they will not wear out as fast.)
I think the skis you're looking at are fine, if they are in the 50-55" range, but I don't like the bar attaching them together. It may help them manage the skis in the water, but I think they are too limiting once they plane.
Of course, using a boom is probably the easiest method, if you have one.
Now, that I have chimed in, I hope others will, I'm sure there is better advice.
Oh, by the way, I'm old school too--I leave the wakeboarding for my kids. But, they all learned to ski first. In fact our youngest learned to ski slalom first, never has used two skis.
Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 1:02pm
I agree with teach them to ski first and it will only help if they move on to wakeboarding later. I have had very good luck teaching with trainers, my 7 yr old (60 lbs) learned this spring on O'Brien All Stars, brought her to the pro shop and let her pick em out as "hers", worked great. HO's version IMO are a bit better than most but any type should work fine. 61"-64" should cover 60lbs-110lbs, you may want a bit smaller size for your youngest. New ski's are going to be $100-$150, if convenient go to the pro shop and try them on. The pair you are looking at on ebay are about $125 new.
Either way have fun with it and good luck!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 1:38pm
Ski first. Too many mediocre wakeboarders out there already.

Yes, I concur, you may be looking at two pairs of skis. Don't try to put the youngest in the medium skis and don't let the youngest see the older struggle with skis too small. You are in a joust with attitudes and confidence, not just athleticism.

In contrast, I like the bar across the smallest trainers, I saw it build confidence last year, I'm weaning her off the tether and bar this year.

I added about 12-14 oz lead weight on the back of the ski so the skis orient themselves easier, it really helps.

Melted lead down in a a tuna can and painted them to match.

When they aim to cross the wake, its best to take the bar and tether off first, the skis need to move independantly to cross the wake well.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 4:11pm
If you want to be a perfectionist about it, you should get the ebay pair for your older one and look for smaller skis for the younger. I'm not as familiar with the wider parabolic skiis, but it seems likely that they are more bouyant than more classic skis and if so, the lead on the back of the ski is a great idea. I've seen that done before.

One thing we've done with each of our kids is get one parent in the water with them helping them tuck their knees inside their arms in order to "manage" the skiis as mentioned above. At least for our kids, having mom in the water with them puts them at ease. Of course she gets a good work out swimming to the boat if the kid gets up and skiis across the lake.

Someone on here will probably tell me how unsafe this is, but before any of our kids learned, I took them up on the front of my two skiis. They got the feel of coming out of the water and the thrill of riding on top of it when they were really little. That motivated them to learn.

We make our kids take one ski run each before the wakeboard even comes out. I don't know how we've managed to keep them obeying this rule, but they do.

one of our youngest (started 6th grade today) learning when she was 6
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 4:18pm
The Dude is photo challenged...trying again...
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
jholton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jholton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 4:20pm
Great advice everyone Thanks!! Tom you right about the two in contest all the time. As I said earlier the youngest is much more athletic but she sees her sister struggle and assumes the same fate. I have never found a good cure except too do activates separate which is exhausting sometimes but easier to too maintain the confidence of each child.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 4:35pm
I have experience with those skis you linked, just different HNG. Aside from correcting the extra boyancy, they serve us well. I think thats about as small as they get, and are suited for the smaller child, 5 to 8 yo or so.

I never connected the connector bar to the rope-handle, we used a boom for early training, it doesn't get any better. I would drag alongside her, one hand on the rear of the skis on the tether, correcting ski direction and keeping them under her the first few pulls. Letting go and being beside her eased anxiety when she falls and the boat pulls away, even if its only 15-25 feet.

Some transition runs to the 5' handle made her first behind-the-boat a snap.

At 40# you will find she can ski around 10-12 mph.

If you train behind the boat, use 22 off or so. 75' looks like a mile to a young one.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Martinique87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martinique87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 5:19pm
We just had THE BEST vacation. Spent a week on the lake and taught the family to ski. I was not surehow it would go for Kylee, my 6 year old daughter but WOW she did great.

I lucked upon 2 pairs of skis for $5. One was a 53"set that fit her. The other a d*ck Pope? set of cypress gardens skis that were adult size. I put an eye strap in each and connected them with some rope and Viola!...trainers.

After a few failed attempts i just told Kylee to lean back with her belly pointing to the sky. That did it. Now she gets up every time. Next time we cut rope and she how that goes.

Tim
tjlake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjlake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 5:27pm
jholton, I've got a 6 and 8 year old and both have been skiing since last year. One is now on a slalom. What worked for us is to have them sit on a noodle with the traing ski's that have the bar attached. I think ours are made by Connely. I know everyone doesn't want to hear this, but I started them out behind the jet ski. The wake was smaller, versatility better and at 3 bucks a gallon it really helped out. Also, they had a goal: Get up, learn to cross the wake and you get to go behind the Nautique. That was the carrot.. We've taught about 10 kids this summer, some as young as five! Good luck and have fun with it, there's NOTHING like the expression when they get up the first time!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic