Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

high idle when slowing down

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: high idle when slowing down
    Posted: August-11-2006 at 10:19am
Probably a bad title, but I am having a heck of a time figuring out why I have a high idle (1000-1200)RPM's after I come off a high speed cruise or after pulling a skier. It isn't every time, but 80% or more. I have adjusted everything so the throttle plates are closed when in the neutral position. Maybe there is still a small crack remaining between the throttle plates and the "sides"? I have been fighting this for 3 years now and I am getting a bit tired of it. Plus, it isn't good on the trans at all.

Could anybody tell me where to start looking to solve this problem PLEASE!

Thanks!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 10:58am
You might try readjusting your throttle cable as follows:

1. Disconnect cable from carburetor.
2. Place throttle control in forward detent position. I.e. tranny in gear, but at idle speed.
3. Adjust end of cable so that when connected to carburetor the throttle plates remain closed.

Most people do not do step #2 and thus can have problems. Not saying this will fix it, but is where I would start.

You might want to check to make sure the high idle cam, if present, is not sticking. Check for binding of the throttle cable.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 11:00am
Also, If you can rotate the secondary throttle plate a little by hand when at idle, then almost certain it is hanging open a bit after a run. ReBend the closing rod so it forces the secondaries fully closed at idle. When the carbs get old they get 'knotchy' and can hang open a bit.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 11:29am
is it a FI or carb motor?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 11:43am
Most likely carb as FI did not show up until '94 (TBI)...his signature says '93.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 12:08pm
Awesome advise guys. I will go look at that later tonight. I am hoping to get it out this weekend but my honey-do list is pretty long. I have messed with the linkage and it did get funny going into forward and reverse. Funny as in it would engage but too much fuel was being delivered. Once engaged, i was able to pull back on the throttle and make it run right. Reverse got a little silly that way too. So it looks like I need to do this procedure and get it set per the instructions.

AWESOME!!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 12:17pm
That is the classic symptom of an imporperly adjusted throttle cable. You will find that you end up moving the cable end significantly.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 2:52pm
I would say that it needs adjusted at the throttle as well as at the carb. The cable should not move forward at the carb when engaging a gear. Now if you are going past the detent when shifting from neutral thats a little different and I would call that driver error rather than bad adjustment.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 3:50pm
I concur, sounds more like cable adjustmemt. I find adjusting so the cable provides slight closing presure at the idle stop, is often just right.

And he brass ends at the morse are likely sawed about 1/2 way through or more by now.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 4:08pm
Well, when on vacation I decided to make these adjustments. I moved the ball socket on the carb linkage because the throttle plates were staying open. then I decided to lower the bracket because it has always bound somewhat. Got it on a level field finally. Adjusted the ball socket for the proper length (or so I thought) so it would slide right on the carb. Everything seemed to be better because I was now getting the full speed out of the boat and it was much smoother throughout the throttle travel of the lever. BUT that is when I started getting these engaging problems. So that is the full story. It has always engaged forward and reverse properly...like new...but the throttle plates were forced open a bit. That is why I did this.
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 4:23pm
Ok, other side...Take the morse down and adjust the pre-load on the spring by adjusting the brass end on the throttle cable.. I think more preload is in order.

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 10:57pm
I looked at that on vacation and it looks pretty complex. I am not around the boat, but is that something that screws can be taken out from the "outside" and pull the mechanism out to work on or is it something you have to "press and guess" your forehead against the wall to figure out. Sorry for the stupid question, but it sounds like I have tinkered too much and may have gotten myself into too much trouble already.

What is this brass thing you are talking about and what would this adjustment really do? Sorry, I always have questions and want to improve my boat.
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic