NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sebago Lake, ME

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sebago Lake, ME
    Posted: August-14-2006 at 1:59pm
Thinking of taking the family up to Sebago Lake next summer. When I was younger we used to go camping on Popham beach outside of Bath and I think I went to the lake once. But I can't remember it.

It's a huge lake, wondering how it is for skiing? What's the water like, temp, clarity?

Would a ski nautique get tossed around like a cork on that lake?
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
woodboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2006 at 2:58pm
Mark I bought a 55 coronado from sebago lake this spring. Yes a nautique would have trouble on parts of sebago there are several basins to explore though. The water is very clear and cold take wet suits. The locals said the boat traffic is heavy on weekends hope this helps.
Lake Livin' Rocks
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 2:47pm
Mark,
Sebago is a big lake. Your '78 Nautique would not like the open water if it's at all windy or on a crowded summer weekend. However, the North end of the lake (near Sebago State Park) has Locks that you can take to Brandy Pond and Long lake. Depending on the age of your kids, it would be really fun to go up the Songo River and through the Locks. Brandy Pond is a small lake and Long Lake is just that, long. The town of Naples (at the southern end of Long Lake) is really nice. You can refuel there, get ice cream, see the Songo River Queen (old paddle wheel boat) etc.

It's been some time since I've been on the lake but you would probably find calmer water on Brandy Pond, parts of Long Lake and in Jordan Bay on Sebago. Personnally, I never gone there to ski but I'm sure you could. There are also a lot of smaller lakes very close by that would be more protected. See this Sebago Lakes Area Description for more info.

FYI - the Southern tip of the lake is where they draw the drinking water for the city of Portland. It's a no swmin zone - even though it has a boat launch.

See the map below.

Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 3:05pm
Thanks Keith. The place we are thinking of staying is Point Sebago Resort which is on Kettle Cove. The cove looks to be bigger than most of the lakes I've been on in CT. Think I'll find any good water there?
1978 Nautique

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 3:09pm
Although from the description on the link you provided - 'Kettle Cove and the Dingley Islands are located in the northeast section of the lake, in Casco. The islands create both a picturesque and protected environment for small craft and waterskiers. Areas included are the end of the Lakewood Road (off Rt. 302), Kettle Cove itself, and the section that abuts Point Sebago, a large campground with many activities, just west of Kettle Cove. Waters are busier near the campground and marina, but most of the cove is fairly quiet'
1978 Nautique

NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 4:01pm
Mark,
I've had my 84 up to that area a few times.
A couple of years ago we rented a house on Frye Island for a week.
There were times when you could've skied from one end of Sebago to the other on glass calm water.
But, within only a couple of minutes, it can change to looking like the middle of the Atlantic. This is typical of lakes like Sebago & Winnie.
About the only decent sking I found was over in Jordan Bay & even that went down hill when a couple of boats would show up.
(Although I do remember cruising up into Kettle cove and it was pretty calm without other boats).
It is fun lake to cruise around though. There's a few Food/Ice cream places you can Boat to.
Like Keith said, that trip up thru the locks & into Brandy Pond/Long Pond is alot of fun.
I've also rented on Long Lake & this was much better for the Nauti.
I've got an RV now & hope to be towing the Nauti next year, so let me know how Point Sebago Resort is if ya go.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 4:51pm
Mark,
I grew up in ME not far from Sebago. A lot of high school friends (including my older brother) worked summers at Point Sebago. It's a very nice place - it's definetly resort camping. Should be great for you and the family. Plus you're already in Kettle Cove. I would highly recommend it. Obvioiusly, mid-week will be better for calm water.

Point Sebago is also not far (by water) to the Songo River and the Locks NAUTI84 and I mentioned. Pack a lunch (or bring some $$ for water accessable resturants) and make a 1/2 day of it.

I'm sure you know but I belive Point Sebago fills up fast so I'd try to book as early as possible.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
1950satom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1950satom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 7:58pm
I was just up on Sebago this Sat. 4-6ft seas with 25 knot winds and 30+ knot gusts...not fun in any boat....but like other have said there are places on the lake which are better than others...

another suggestion is to head over to little sebago which is much calmer...a few people have set up courses on the lake and it is about 10min drive down the road from point sebago.

http://www.littlesebagolake.com/

anywho which ever lake you decide to go onto make sure you stop by a local store and pick up a map of the lake...there are many rocks and obstacles which you want to know about
AbunDiga909 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbunDiga909 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 11:52pm
Mark, I'm not there now, but I just got back from my fams vacation in Maine. I STRONGLY recomend you put both lakes aside for the Nautique. Don't get me wrong, they're both great beautiful lakes, but both very harsh on the boat. I made plenty of stops at Sun Sports in Naples and got a good view of the constant white caps on Long Lake. We go to Kezar Lake, which is about 40 mins away from Naples. Its everything you could ask for for a ski lake. No obnoxious jet skiers, calm water almost always, and its nesteed right in the heart of the white mountains, so you still get that 150 foot deep water in the middle of heaven... I remember once when I was really young I was slaloming, and the water was so calm and deep, I saw the clouds and mountains in the reflection, I scared myself and just let go.... We're there every first 2 weeks of August, you should stop by... you won't regret at least visiting that lake...

By the way, I see your home lake is on Zoar. I live in NYC, but my family has a place in Westchester. From there we trailer up to either Candlewood or Lillinonah. We should meet up sometime, I'm at the lake almost everyday...

-Austin
I Nautique, therefore I am.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 10:20am
Zoar has had a bunch of floating logs this year due to all of the rain. I heard Lillinonah has even more did you notice that? We ski on Zoar on Monday and Friday nights and sometimes Sunday morning. Would be cool to meet someone from the site.

Anyone know of any other nice lakes in New England that have rental cabins on them?
1978 Nautique

AbunDiga909 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbunDiga909 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 4:58pm
Check out Pleasant Point Inn (on Kezar), they sound like everything you're looking for...

http://www.pleasantpoint.com

Our group is about 30 people, we're prob. their best customer... haha... the whole lake knows, and LIKES, us.. ;) Each fam. in our group has their own cabin...
I Nautique, therefore I am.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic