Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer dimensions anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Lazarus II View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazarus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stringer dimensions anyone?
    Posted: August-16-2006 at 2:29pm
Hey CCfans i have come face to face with the dreaded Stringer monster <instert scary music>. I've removed one of them and am having a hard time getting good measurements that im satisfied with due to the extreme deterioration of the wood. I know there are some folks here who have tackled this project or do it for a living so if anyone has good measurements for primary stringers on a 1979 Ski Nautique I would be eternally greatful.

Thx
Zack
Going fast never hurt a soul, its the sudden stops that get ya!!!!!!
79 Ski Nautique
NC 75 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC 75 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 4:40pm
To echo Zach's plea, I am in the same stage on my 75 Mustang. Anybody have original plans and specs on these jewels?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 9:56pm
I've never done it but I don't believe it has to be exact there is going to be filler all around it and it doesn't have to but up flush against the transom the filler will fill the gap. did you remove all of the fiberglass around the stringers or just the top layer and pull the stringer out?
pmt2234 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmt2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 1:50pm
I had a similar problem when I re-stringered my 1984 2001. I cut open the fiberglass around the stringers, and all the wood was rotted beyond recognition. I used a level to transfer the shape of the existing stringer to the new one.
Lazarus II View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazarus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 6:14pm
I actually cut the fiberglass roughly 1 inch up from the hull to leave channels for the new stringers to sit in. I set the one semi-intact stringer out flat in the driveway and held it all together with a bunch of strategically placed boards scabbed on and managed to get an ok pattern.....I think. I'm gonna go cut it out as soon as i finish typing this so there will be updates and hopefully once i finish this and everything fits right i can make my drawings available to whoever else has a 79 nauti with rotten guts.

Zack
Going fast never hurt a soul, its the sudden stops that get ya!!!!!!
79 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2006 at 12:28am
Zack,
Hope you got your stringer cut by now!.

This is what I did....I used a string, pulled tight from front to back ,at the top of the stringer height. I measured down to the bottom of the hull about every 3" and transfered that onto a pc of cardboard (an old siding box worked great).

I then used the cardboard template in the hull to re-adjust anything as needed before using it to cut the stringers.

Let us know how it went! Good luck!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
fuelctrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuelctrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 11:45pm
I have my 78 tique open and I could help you out if you want to go with the 78 stringer dimensions. I`m in the process of rebuilding.
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 8:05am
Wow! I had no idea there were that many of you guys willing to take this on...goodonya! I dont have the measurements but I have done it. the most critical thing is the height of the stringers at the four motor mount points. I did this by framing 2X4's across the gunnel and measuring down to the four points from there. There are some photos in a post named
"81 top to bottom"
Be skiin'ya B.J.
hasbeenskier
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 9:51pm
sorry to disappointe all you CCF's that take these wonderful projects on but when it comes to stringers I am sending my baby away to the guy that does it for a living.

My desire to do everything to my boat stops at stringers.

But my hat goes off to the guys that do them, themselves. From some of the pics I have seen of the restores guys on here do, looks like they could be doing it for a living.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic