Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Platform mock-up

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Platform mock-up
    Posted: August-17-2006 at 12:36am
Hi, looking for opinions, advice, tips, etc.

From previous posts, I built this mock-up for my 78 Ski Tique (it also fits the 69 Mustang transom curve - bonus). I decided to build it around the ladder, so it won't be removable, until I figure that out!

Ordered my Ipe and brackets, should be here Sat. Sorry for the crappy pics, but tell me what you think. Thanks.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 9:04am
It looks great to me. Even with a removable platform, I find I hardly ever remove it. I think you're in good shape.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 9:25am
The platform itself looks good, but it looks a little high where you have it mounted. Im not quite sure where the water line would be on your boat, though. DavidF had a good writeup recently on how to pick the perfect height.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 11:16am
The platform design looks great. If it were mine, I would cut the ladder off at the top of the platform. I also have to agree with TRBenj it looks high to me as well. Nice work!
Greg

86 BFN
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 11:26am
Platform looks pretty good. I know it is a mock-up, but on the real thing, make sure all fastener are from the bottom, non from the top. You might also consider radiusing the edges of all boards prior to assembly (or chamfering to make a v-groove joint). This will eliminate the issue of "over wood" from one piece to the next.

As far as the ladder goes, my preference would be to remove the ladder. With a platform, the ladder is redundant and will get in the way of people using the platform to put on skis or boards. If you are concerned about the unsightly holes the ladder brackets will leave, then maybe cut the ladder off just below the ladder brackets visiable jsut above the platform. This will not help the skiers, but will help in making the platform removable, etc.

Just my $.02. Ultimately, it is what you think looks the best, not what I or we think looks the best.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 11:38am
if it was me I would leave the ladder just shorten it and maybe move the bottom step up to just below the brackets so that it's about inch or two above the platform. Makes a nice grab handle for the less agile fooks trying to get back into the boat but it does need to drop down a little more seems a little high maybe lower it until the bottom is even with the bottom paint or a 1/2" below it. It's going to look nice regardless once it finished.
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 3:09pm
I say off with the ladder! No use for it now..make some chrome caps for the holes and your good to go!
mars
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic