Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 SN prop spin or transmission

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
finnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 SN prop spin or transmission
    Posted: August-19-2018 at 11:47pm
Got a problem with take off at heavy throttle. RPMS grow but the acceleration almost immediately declines. The boat has the inital jump but almost immediately loses bite. If i take off very slowly the boat will get up to full speed with out the issue occurring and will run wide open. I also think i hear something spinning when the issue occurs. The tranny fluid is full and looks fairly clean. Any ideas or thoughts. If it is the transmission what do you think the cost on a rebuild would be?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 1:52am
The answer you don't want to hear is that it's the transmission

Based on your description though, it's the transmission

Props don't just suddenly decide to start slipping and run fine otherwise at speed.but you could check that the prop is tight on the shaft and the coupling end where it hooks to the shaft is tight.

But................most likely clutch plate slippage under heavy load.

It probably makes a wicked groaning noise on hard takeoff, that would be the plates slipping.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 2:54pm
Check your tranny fluid, maybe you have a slow leak and you are low.
If this is the case, change your fluid now to get the burned stuff out.

Also check the prop to make sure your keyway has not sheared.
If your prop was never lapped in the only thing keeping it from spinning is the keyway.
I have never seen this happen but you should rule it out..
Take the nut off your prop shaft and inspect.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 3:39pm
Eric,
Regrettably I'm with Ken on this one. and if it's slipped more than a couple times the chances of warped clutch plates from the heat are high. If so, then the only fix is replacement of the clutch pack.
Mark mentioned:
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Check your tranny fluid, maybe you have a slow leak and you are low.
Also check the prop to make sure your keyway has not sheared.

But you said:
Originally posted by finnz finnz wrote:

The tranny fluid is full and looks fairly clean.

He also mentioned:
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

If your prop was never lapped in the only thing keeping it from spinning is the keyway.

I have never see one sheared but take a look anyway. BTW, he meant to say "key" and not "keyway" The key is the square chunk of metal between the prop and shaft and the keyway are the grooves it fits into.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 4:31pm
Thanks for the assist Pete.
I have replaced the clutches in the 1:1 velvet drive twice in past 30 years. It is not too hard if you can turn a wrench. Both mine worked after the fix.
Have not opened up a 1.23 to 1 gearbox yet. Hope I never have to.
finnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2018 at 12:40pm
Thanks for the advice and support friends. Y'all are the best any recomendations on a repair shop in OKC But seriously is their someone on the website who has done it on the PCM 40a that you know of?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic