Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

mercruiser in mustang

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fredo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mercruiser in mustang
    Posted: August-24-2006 at 9:54am
theres a early 70's mercrusier 888 available
does any one know if that is an easy conversion to put in 68 mustang or am i wasting my time. the reason being the water
did come back in the oil after another 6-8
hours and i really dont want to build a new
motor right now.

also would my velvet drive bolt up to that
engine. thanks much.
fredo68
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2006 at 4:00pm
Sure would look harder at the manifolds if I were you but if you can pick up that 302 it would work fine for your needs. You would have to turn the transmission pump around because it will rotate the wrong way but it would work fine. Mine had a similar engine in it.

I would sell the outdrive on ebay and bet you would make back most of what you paid. Throw it on a pallet and ship it to the buyer. 888 is a good outdrive
fredo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2006 at 4:11pm
pswann

what am i looking for on the manifolds?
i thank you for the response. but this
motor should just bolt up to the velvet drive with no mods?
fredo68
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2006 at 5:38pm
I would look for a crack on the inside or anything that looked odd that would indicate a water leak.

The auction I presume you were refering to was for a 302 with an 888 outdrive. You can pull all that mercruiser stuff off and you will end up with a ford 302 which is what you should have in your boat except yours probably rotates the opposite direction. If you have a 318 then your going to have a few more things to work on like finding a 318 engine.

I would pull the engine and transmission and swap parts. Take some pictures to make sure you end up where you started if your not comfortable.

a ford 302 block is a ford 302 block. They should bolt together fine. If that guy is local I would run over there and do a compression check. I dont like to be swapping engines I havent done a compression check on to see how much life they have before the next rebuild.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2006 at 5:46pm
remember you'll need a new prop also, if you swap directions
"the things you own will start to own you"
fredo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 10:03am
so my 68 302 is definatly the opposite direction? is that a major deal swapping
everything over? how does that affect the
velet drive or does it. the engine is on
ebay two states away. is this worth the
gamble and all the work to swap out or
should i just continue to search for the
right engine for my application.

thanks
fredo68
fredo68
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 12:35pm
I wouldnt drive two towns away much less two states for a 302 engine. They are a dime a dozen. Same engine is in a mustang. I have one here sitting next to a tree, came out of a volvo penta setup.

Eric can tell you the transmission part,the swap is easy to do unless you find the stringers gone like I did when I did the mustang swap. Then doing the alignment I found all the mounts to be rusted together. Lots of fun.

I am a$$uming your engine turns backwards. If it has been changed out then maybe it does or maybe it doesnt. I suggest you look at it when you crank it and you will have your answer.

The prop will set you back a hundred if you get lucky, 200 if your not.

Have you done a compression check on your engine? Sure would be an overkill to swap an engine out over a exhaust manifold or head gasket problem.
fredo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 12:42pm
no i havent done compression test but water
in oil cant be good on the motor. the starboard side exhaust manifold runs alot hotter than port, if you were me what would you do? try to patch what ive got? really
dont need two major projects. between posts
went out in shop and started pulling up foam
in my 66.

thanks again
fredo68
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 12:48pm
fredo,    The 888 is the wrong rotation.
I still have the Cat yellow 302 for sell, ready to drop in and run.
AT

PS   6 bills without the velvet drive.
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 12:53pm
Im doing stringers as we speak in a barracuda and then will be putting the foam back in. That little project will have your happy scale pegged all the way to maximum.

If I had a second boat that was getting foam, I say foam because you havent figured out that your stringers are gone yet, I would swap both exhaust manifolds as a test.

I really wouldnt do that, I would buy new ones cause I dont want to mess with them after I do all the other work but that is me and your not me. Swapping would be a cheap test. I still would check compression first since that is easy.
fredo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 1:03pm
allright well start with comp test. i hope the stringers arent as you say you need to
be more positive and optimistic there is
allways hope.

fredo6866
fredo68
fredo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 1:04pm
pswann your a senior member.
fredo68
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 1:09pm
A senior member would have already finished the barracuda. I am closer to a slacker then senior. PM me with a email address and a phone number and I will send you a phone number if you would like to talk about your upcoming challenges. Im headed to lunch with the wife but will be able to talk later this afternoon.

Good luck!

Wow I didnt notice that I went over 100. Still a slacker!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 1:58pm
Hey fredo!

Caterpillar Yellow Power!

call me if you are interested.
fredo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 2:28pm
drcc

is that the motor we spoke of a few months ago? what did that come out of and is it just
a drop in and go motor or what mods have to be performed?

if you want to email me your #
send to southcentralmotors@verizon.net

thanks fredo6866
fredo68
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2006 at 1:02pm
fredo,   Yes, drop in and Go. Same Engine we talked about earlier.
    I bought the engine in 1990 w/ 275 hours on it. Installed it in my 66 Mustang, ran it for two seasons, till my stringers gave out. There have been no mods made, engine is stock as a rock. You would not have to modify anything. Drop it in, bolt it down, hook up shaft, fuel line, water hose, battery cables and throttle and shift cables. Fill with gas, Launch and Enjoy!
573-346-2081
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic