Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reverse Rotation 351

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SeattleFordFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reverse Rotation 351
    Posted: August-25-2006 at 3:53pm
Is there a Special reason Correct Craft put Reverse Rotation engines in the early 80's. I like the originality of it, but find it easier to build a standard rotation motor. If anyone knows why they did this, I would appreciate the input.

Thanks
Travs
Travs

Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a way, it usually costs more money.

1980 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 4:07pm
The consensus is that the RH prop helps offset the weight of the driver. JoeNY has a std rotation 302 installed in his 2001 and said the difference is noticeable- maybe he'll chime in.

FYI, CC was putting reverse rotation motors in their boats as early as the 60's (maybe earlier?). The didnt stop using them until PCM introduced the 1.23:1 tranny that reverses the engine rotation, allowing a std rotation motor to turn a RH prop.
Martinique87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martinique87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 4:11pm
I’ve pondered that myself. At great risk of embarra$$ing myself I'll take a stab at this one. Because of where the driver is seated the boat will lean to port. The reverse rotation causes the boat to torque to starboard. The two work to cancel each other out and provide a straighter ride. Just a guess, curious what others say.

Tim
Martinique87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martinique87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 4:12pm
Wow, simultaneous post with TRBenji

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 4:16pm
The Counter Balance is what I had figured they had in mind. I appreciate the feedback.
Travs

Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a way, it usually costs more money.

1980 Ski Nautique
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 4:33pm
This link discusses this question.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 6:07pm
Very helpful link, thanks Dude
Travs

1980 Ski Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 12:39am
My boat does lean towards the driver quite noticably when I am in it alone, Havent been in one with a reverse rotation to know if it is worse than normal but I a$$ume it is... of course it could have been all those adult beverages
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 9:30am
Good link...I remember that post, I like what BKH mentions about reverse and the stern moving away from the skier during pickup.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 12:23pm
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the input.
Travs

1980 Ski Nautique
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 12:20am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The didnt stop using them until PCM introduced the 1.23:1 tranny that reverses the engine rotation, allowing a std rotation motor to turn a RH prop.

So an 89 with a 1.23:1 Tranny will have a standard rotation (left hand) engine.?
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 12:33am
yep
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 6:13am
Does that also mean that all 1:1 transmissioned nautiques are either:
a: Standard rotation engine with left hand prop
or
b: reverse rotation engine with a right hand prop.?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 8:50am
1:1's are reverse rotaton engines with RH props. unless your name is Joe and have modified your boat and run left hand stuff.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 8:53am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

...unless your name is Joe and have modified your boat...

lol
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 9:53am
My '77 (sold) has a standard rotation engine with 1:1 BW tranny and a LH 13x13 prop. That is the way it was when I purchased it back in '89. I have a strong suspicion that the engine is not original due to all the automotive parts installed. I left well enough alone, but the boat did roll quit abit when turning to starboard. The roll was bothersome enough that I usually turned around to the port whenever possible (and safe). Other than that, the straight ahead attitude was fine.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 10:12am
If it ain't modified... then I must not have owned it very long.
David I think you should go ahead and upgrade that strong suspicion to undeniable fact.
   My mustang came to me with a std rotation automotive hacked in engine and I rebuilt it in the same rotation before I stumbled on this site and learned the "correct" way.
Now I have temporarily moved that engine to the ski nautique while the mustang gets a complete cosmetic overhaul, but the nautique will go back correct when I build up her very own new 351.
   The mustang is going to remain "incorrect" but it was too far gone for a very original restoration anyway. I figure another three years before I have them both exactly how I want them as long as I don't buy any more between now and then...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 10:18am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

David I think you should go ahead and upgrade that strong suspicion to undeniable fact.

Yeah, your right. After having a "backwards" CC for so long, it is taking a bit of getting used to the RH prop on the '93 SN.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 4:31pm
you always could find a 1.23:1 powerplus trany to go with the std rot engine problem solved.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 4:48pm
Yep, but boat is gone. Spoke with the new Owner last week and he is happy with the boat. Not a bit of trouble out of the boat all summer

I like that idea though. I bet the front motor mounts have enough adjustment to account for the down angle of the output shaft on the PCM tranny.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic