Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can I lift using the "lifting" eyes?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I lift using the "lifting" eyes?
    Posted: August-28-2006 at 4:00pm
This could be a stupid question, but does "lifting eye" mean I can lift the whole boat using these eyelets?

My boat is a '69 Barracuda, and, like many of them, it has chrome eyes on the front and rear. I just thought they were for tying off and skiing, but I keep seeing them referred to as "lifting eyes" on here. Does that mean they're strong enough to be used to pick up the whole boat? Sure would make it a lot easier to hang from the roof of my garage if they are.

Thomas
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 4:24pm
That is what they're for, lifting.
Tim D
skicraz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 5:08pm
I would take a good look at them to see what kind of shape they are in before you start lifting by them.

The shaft on mine are pretty well rusted so not so much left to them. They are pretty much just for looks now.

There couldn't be anything much worse than getting your ride up in the air and it come crashing down!!!!!! OUCH!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 7:02pm
if it is only surface rust and the diameter of the threaded rod as not decreased in diameter it's not a problem, but if the diameter has decrease at some point then better have some thing close to catch it.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 7:02pm
Yeah, I was kinda presuming factory-fresh condition, and I think mine are. I originally thought they were just for towing and tying, but when I saw how stout the rear one was, the term "lifting eye" made more sense.

At any rate, I'm going to pick it up and set it down on a sling and a cradle/stand.

Thomas
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 9:29pm
Please post a pic or two of your set-up. I have a trailer to restore!
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 9:58pm
I think I would be more concerned about the roof of my garage coming with a couple thousand pounds hanging from it . Unless you have something special to hold all that weight.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 10:57pm
(Laughing)

When my local building code official looked at my garage plans, she decided I needed a professional engineer to size the overhead I-beams. Since I had to spend the money, I told the engineer I wanted a clear 20 x 30 foot area (no columns!), and I wanted to be able to hang 6000 lbs. from the ceiling anywhere (in addition to the roof load) and not have to worry about anything coming down.

I've had a Renault Alliance (sans engine) hanging on one side for about 3 years now. I don't think my boat (2400 lbs.) will cause a problem.

That special enough?

Don't have any pics at the moment, but I'll try to get one.

Thomas
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 11:33pm
T, great answer. Wonder what the code official thought when she saw it? Ha! And people think I'm weird for knocking a whole in the rear of my garage to make my boat fit.

I guess one question would be, why is the Renault hanging in your garage, but another might be, why do you have a Renault?

I'd love to see a pic of your boat hanging.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 12:28am
The code official doesn't understand engineering principles or building codes well enough to know what she was looking at, so she signed off on the plans and hasn't seen the structure yet. She was just trying to cost me money or stop me, but mostly failed at the former and completely punted the latter.

I have 2 1987 Renault GTA's. They had a 2-liter motor, special wide, low-profile wheels/tires, a lower final drive ratio, and a close-ratio transmission. There were only about 2000 of them, and they would pull more g's than a 1987 Corvette. The hanging Renault (3rd one) is a pristine Georgia-bred rust-free convertible body.

I hope to transplant the GTA goodies into the convertible body, but my boat, the '68 Fury convertible, the '64 300K, etc., are jealous stable-mates and keep demanding my attention. I'm a little short on floor space. Hence the "hanging garden" decor.

Thomas

Pics on the way!
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 8:32am
Thomas, if you are married you have joined my heroes list; or, your wife has. I'd have a hard time trying to expalin to my wife the car above her head as she stepped out of her Taurus.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 9:16am
be sure to use 2X12's when you make the craddle or the vee towards the front will get you.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 5:50pm
Chuck, we gotta talk.

Not married. That's the key!

As of last night my boat is sitting on stands at the back and hanging by very stout webbing at the front.

Meanwhile the trailer is getting a new axle with brakes at the shop. And it will have a new ADME 540 prop by the time it hits the lake again.

Thomas
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 8:32am
Thomas,
You're going to really like that 540 prop. It has made a huge difference for my boat. Shoot me an email anytime at chuck@cornerstone4u.org.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 1:26pm
Finally got a pic of my garage reduced enough to post. That 35 kb limit is a bear.

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 3:52pm
That strap that is going under and around the boat is bad. The sides of the boat are not intended to support the weight.
Tim D
rmcdonald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 8:46pm
Hi Thomas
If you are worried about the strap on the sides of the boat, you can put a spreader bar between the straps.
This will stop the sides of the boat being compressed.

Regards
Rob
ccskier16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccskier16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 10:16pm
We hang all of ours from the lifting rings. 74 Skier, 90 Sport, and 91 SN.

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 10:17pm
a lot of guys who use straps like that to lift their boats end up with their windshield not closing because of the stress
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 10:17pm
Thanks for the tip. I'll remember that the next time I have to lift the boat.

Incidentally, I lifted with the lifting eye, then dropped it on the sling. I listened for, but didn't hear any creaking. Maybe that's because the sling was separated at the top, instead of being a full circle.

At any rate, next time I'll use a spreader.

Oh, CCSkier, Your setup is inspirational. That is so cool! I thought my garage was something special. Can you hang all 3 boats at once from the deck? I a$$ume this was to keep from sinking anything in the lake? And you can put all 3 boats inside?

Thomas
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 12:37pm
beautifal set-up
"the things you own will start to own you"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 1:44pm
An SN just hanging like that is a beautiful sight. Usually you can't see much of the hull surface because of the trailer.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 7:55am
Nice setup. I have never seen a deck supported that way. Inspirational! Someone is a clever thinker.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 5:03pm
Great post....love the pics. Always someone with cooler stuff!! Love it. I hung my 82 SN from the lifting rings for years, IIRC Overtons has (had) one in a photo for a two point lift. Never any problems. My current setup is a cradle style. The two point one was fine except if you tried to get something out of the boat while it was up...swayed and tipped. Also it was a pain to get a cover on it. I had holes in the cover, but you had to put the cover on then attach it to the lift.

ernest
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic