Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

borg warner transmission

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lakeman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: borg warner transmission
    Posted: August-28-2006 at 4:21pm
I have a 85 2001 500 hrs, recently the trans slipped (less than a second) while pulling up a barefooter, 30 minutes later it did it again, we ran another 2 hours with no problems The local mechanic I spoke with wants to rebuild. Should I run it till it stops or have it rebuilt now. Also, how much fluid does it hold?
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 8:27pm
Check the reference sect. and you will find in the PCM manual how much trnny fluid to use.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 9:09am
if you slipped it, a good indication is dragging in nuetral, the true test for drag is holding the prop shaft by hand at 1100 rpm, you should be able to hold it(safety note: don't wear a scarf while doing this test. if you cant hold it you have some warpage in the plates. you can put a gauge in the trans and check pressures, figure out the problem first. then decide if you need it rebuilt. start with the oil level first
"the things you own will start to own you"
rmcdonald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 10:06am
Hi Eric
Please be more Specific

Are you suggesting the following:
Put the gearbox in nuetral.
Hold prop shaft
Bring Revs up to 1100 rpm.

Otherwise it is a recipe for riping someones Arm off.
Regards
Rob

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 10:55am
Check the fluid level and quality -- burt, stinky, looks like peto-bismol? Top off the fluid or replace if needed.
Here's my opinion on the rebuild...
A rebuild is in your future. Even if the fluid was low and that was causing the slipping, some damage was done and you'll need to rebuild at some point.
If the tranny isn't slipping too badly, I'd continue using it through the end of boating season. (I live in Texas and we ski up to Thanksgiving sometimes.) I don't think anything else will break and need replacing if you don't rebuild it right away. That's my thinking on it. Maybe some others have a different opinion?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 1:25pm
jimbo has it right, slippage, if not low on oil is possiby a sign of a problem, the oil should be nice and red with no burnt smell to it. dont try any additives it will only create MORE damage. the damage may be done alredy and like he said run it to the end of the season if you can to avoid downtime. actually in nuetral you should not have any drag at all, some boats do though due to oil shear in the clutch pack and the clearances set on the tight side. it is dangerous having any drag at all. common sense should kick in on grabbing the prop shaft, we use this test on our test stand with no prop shaft hooked up
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 6:11pm
Here's a question for you eric regarding a 1:1 borg warner

I figure it was due to my buddy using thewrong snap rings in the wrong place from what I've read, their more of a sim than retainers, but mine does creap forward some times when in nuetral, I can grap the prop shaft by hand and hold it and bring it up to 1100 rpm and still hold it do ned to worry about it?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2006 at 10:59am
you may get drag when cold from what's called oil shear between the plates and the clearance on these packs should be .018 to .053 on bronze and the same for fiber, I try to set them on the higher side by using thinner steel plates (which no one knows about) the packs are always on the tight side if you don't use some of the thinner steels. remember: you cannot adjust clearance on a 10-17 model unless you use the thinner steel. there are 3 sizes available .068,.058,.047. when set on the high side you always get a good clean nuetral
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2006 at 9:03am
eric you the Man,have mine tore down now awaiting a box of goodies from you. looks like a good weekend project. the PCM manual is really a treasure chest of info,from rebuilding trannies to adjusting timing and idle speed.lottsa info for a little money.Eric how did the road trip go,did all the kids and dad survive????????? i remember those days,that is why they don't give kids to old people,and if i would have known grandkids were this much fun i would have skipped the birthing process of my three..............boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2006 at 9:14am
the road trip turned out fine, went with 3 came back with 3, definitly came home empty pocket, i think my name should be atom which stands for ATM. call me if you run into a snag, ill be around all weekend. tear down, clean, re-a$$emble should be about 3 hours
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2006 at 8:03am
boat doc, you better ad a 0 onto that 3 lol
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2006 at 10:00pm
Eric, if we got off on the wrong foot I apologize. I have enjoyed reading your very informative posts. Many thanks.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 7:53am
no problem Jim,i think I was poking at the beehive a little bit in the beginning, I guess i didnt understand what a close knit group you guys were, eric
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic