NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No Spark

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2018 at 11:54pm
New Coil with internal resistor

Pics of new solenoid and voltage regulator hooked up the same was as was the old solenoid. The red wire coming from the voltage regulator is on the positive batt side of the solenoid. The other wires coming out of the voltage regulator are purple and dark green

Any chance I can get that wiring diagram link or file. I am having a tough time reading it here. Or is it in a engine manual in the reference section?

Fired up the Tique this morning and let it get up to temp. Fired right up and ran well. Oil change and winterized. One funny thing, took out 4.5qts of oil (we have a small leak/drip). Replaced with 5qts of oil and still read low on the dipstick.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2018 at 8:30am
Hi Dave

The diagram can be found in the link on page 11

It's for a prestolite alternator and regulator. It's not a lot of good to you for much other than getting a general idea of how things are wired.

Yours is a Motorcraft regulator and the alternator probably is too so the number of wires and the colors are different on your regulator.

If you're getting normal voltage to the battery (around 14 volts) when it's running, then it's working right.

link

Before you put in the new coil did you have the same coil for use with no external resistor or did you have an external resistor and a coil for use with a resistor?

Or maybe a mystery coil and no resistor?

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2018 at 11:12am
Had a coil with an internal resistor.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2018 at 3:11pm
Just out of curiosity what is the brand and part number on the old coil and also on the new coil?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2018 at 3:34pm
New Coil looks like Oreilly Masterpro or BWD.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2018 at 4:12pm
Old coil. I have a pic but I'm on my phone. All Black. Looks identical by shape. Written on it:

12V
Use without external resistor
Made in Mexico

New coil:
Masterpro from Oreilly: MPI 2-5025

12V
Use without external resistor
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2018 at 7:13pm
The good news is that the new coil is right for your application.with no resistor/ballast wire.

It's got a primary resistance of 3.3 ohms so no ballast resistor is necessary.

I put the same coil MPI 2-5025 on a friends points setup with no resistor, a while ago and he gets a fair amount of use out of the boat and he hasn't had any problems.

Since they're relatively cheap, I keep one hanging around just in case

So as long as you have normal voltage at the coil positive when the engine is running (around 14) that should rule out too much voltage to the points as the cause of the problem if the old one cross referenced to the new one.

Which then means..............who knows what the problem was.

Maybe you had a lousy set of points or a lousy condenser.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic