Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

89 BFN Ignition swap with DUI

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 89 BFN Ignition swap with DUI
    Posted: September-04-2018 at 9:47pm
We are replacing the Mallory Ignition with a DUI Ignition with HEI coil on a 1989 Barefoot Nautique. The old distributor and coil will be removed. After researching the wiring requirements I am confused. The voltage requirements are minimum 11.5 volts. The power source should be provided when the key is on. Should I run a 12 gauge wire from one of the the starter relay post? Should the ceramic ballast resistor be removed? Any suggestions on what to do with the old coil positive and negative wires? If the ceramic ballast resistor is removed what do we do with those wires? Thanks........Tom
Thanks.......Tom
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2018 at 9:58pm
Former coil + (ign=purple) and - (tach=gray) are your new dui connections... lengthen/shorten as necessary, then re-terminate. Bypass the resistor (input and output go on the same post). Easy as pie.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2018 at 10:29pm
Thanks for fast reply......To confirm - Just connect purple wire to DUI positive and gray wire to tachometer. Connect both wires on the ceramic ballast resistor to same post. DO you know what the wire gauge is on the purple wire? Thanks for support.

Thanks.......Tom
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2018 at 10:53pm
Correct. 14-16awg... I’d err on the large side.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2018 at 11:15pm
This might be over-kill, but I used 12 gauge wire with an in-line fuse to protect the DUI.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2018 at 11:37pm
I think the purple wire connected to the old coil is 14 gauge. (this wire comes out of the main harness in back of engine) Is this too small? If so where would I run the 12 gauge wire from to the positive side of the DUI?
Thanks.......Tom
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2018 at 12:05am
14-16awg is fine, I wouldn’t bother running a dedicated ign wire all the way to the dash.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2018 at 1:29am
Is that purple wire directly connected to the ignition switch?
Thanks.......Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic