Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Things to look at when buying a boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mlouder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mlouder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Things to look at when buying a boat
    Posted: September-05-2018 at 3:39pm
I remember seeing somewhere on here that someone put up a post that had a list of things to look at when inspecting a boat to buy. I can't remember for the life of me where I saw it and can't seem to find it again.

I know for the most part what I need to look at as but I was hoping someone could help me get a list that I and other people that read this post in the future can use as a makeshift guide when going to buy a boat.
austinbenincasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinbenincasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2018 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Mlouder Mlouder wrote:

I remember seeing somewhere on here that someone put up a post that had a list of things to look at when inspecting a boat to buy. I can't remember for the life of me where I saw it and can't seem to find it again.

I know for the most part what I need to look at as but I was hoping someone could help me get a list that I and other people that read this post in the future can use as a makeshift guide when going to buy a boat.

Here is the link you are looking for

Checklist Thread

Most questions can be found here

FAQ

Hope this helps! What model are you looking at?
Mlouder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mlouder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2018 at 9:14am
I'm looking at a 1995 Ski Nautique that I found on craigslist. It looks to be in excellent condition. Let me know what you guys think!

1995 Ski Nautique
1979 Ski Nautique
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2018 at 10:49pm

I'm looking at a 1995 Ski Nautique that I found on craigslist. It looks to be in excellent condition. Let me know what you guys think!

1995 Ski Nautique

Nice looking boat but I think the price is a little high. 12k is close to top dollar for a 95 ski. From that I would deduct For the following items that I can see.

- Pro Ski, less desirable than the GT40. No pic of the engine worries me
- Trailer Condition looks a little questionable. I'd check for rust issues, particular under the bunks.
- Some of the vinyl has been replaced and isn't original. For example no logo on the back seat is missing. The passenger seat looks like it had a mold issue. These can be fixed but depending on how much you replace this can add up.
- Dash doesn't appear to be in the best condition.

Pictures are not the best but a few signs point to a boat that had had a hard life. The gel is nice and shiny but that's pretty easy to do with a little elbow grease, assuming the gel isn't damaged.

Its getting close to the end of the season. Willing to travel and you can get some deals in the colder states. Based on what I see I'd be looking to pay 8k or 9k. Boat might look better then what I am assuming from the pics but that's not normally the case
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Mlouder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mlouder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 10:11am
I was able to get pictures of the engine for the 1995 Ski Nautique. The alternator and the valve covers have a little rust on them. Other than that, the engine looks to be clean and oil free. the bilge looks clean. Wires are organized. Manifolds are in good condition.

I would post pictures, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that on here.
1979 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 10:23am

. Manifolds are in good condition.

I would post pictures, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that on here.

How did you check the manifolds? Just a visual won't tell you what the condition is inside. If they did look good from the visual, then chances are high they are good but it's still a gamble. Not run in salt water is a good plus too.

Use the full reply for posting pictures. Click on the icon of the tree with the up arrow.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mlouder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mlouder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 10:34am
It was based on the pictures. Owner said that it has never ran in salt water either. Thanks for the help with the pictures.
1979 Ski Nautique
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 1:32pm
<hijack>

Sorry don't mean to hijack but don't feel my question is worth a whole thread of its own.

I'm considering a 97 sport currently. Is 1100hrs considered high (it has the Chev Apex engine)? Obviously, maintenance etc plays a role, but just generally speaking, Engine looks spotless from pics.

</hijack>
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
austinbenincasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinbenincasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by geecee geecee wrote:

<hijack>

Sorry don't mean to hijack but don't feel my question is worth a whole thread of its own.

I'm considering a 97 sport currently. Is 1100hrs considered high (it has the Chev Apex engine)? Obviously, maintenance etc plays a role, but just generally speaking, Engine looks spotless from pics.

</hijack>

Pics look good but the condition of the oil (is it overly dirty? Sign of neglect) and compression test are
the only sure way to know what the engine condition is. A well maintained engine should go over 1000. Probably in the 2000 hour range is where maintenance to the interals need to be done.
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 2:42pm
Friend of mine has a 1999 Malibu with 4,100 hours. Normal oil changes every 50 hours. He's replaced fuel pumps and normal maintenance items, (impeller,plugs, distributor cap/rotor, etc). But no heavy maintenance such as top end or rings. Very reliable, runs it every day. It's all in taking good care of your baby. BTW it's a 5.7 L GM engine, not a Ford!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic