Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

89 BFN 454 DUI Install

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 89 BFN 454 DUI Install
    Posted: September-06-2018 at 11:01pm
I have completed the install of my DUI with built in coil in my 454. Carburetor backfire and no start condition. I have doubled checked the No 1 piston is on compression stroke using a waded paper towel in spark plug hole. Set at zero on timing tab. Rotor is pointed toward Number 1 terminal on cap and that plug wire runs to number 1 plug. (I have triple checked everything) I installed the plug wires in cap using firing order stamped on the intake. Going clockwise 18436572. Before changing out distributors the boat would start with 1 flip of the key....Acts like plug wires are off or distributor is off but I have taken it in and out 3 times and rotated engine several times and rotor still points to No. 1 when at TDC.
Thanks.......Tom
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2018 at 11:39pm
I been researching the PCM engine manual and I think I am using the wrong firing order. Manual states PR 12756348. (not sure what the PR stands for except Right hand rotation. I will change it tomorrow and start the engine. If it starts the Intake has the wrong firing order.
Thanks.......Tom
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2018 at 11:53pm
Yep, one stamped on the intake is standard rotation firing order. Use the order from the pcm manual.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2018 at 12:13am
Thanks........Wonder if backfires did any carb damage.
Thanks.......Tom
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2018 at 12:23am
Depends on how old the carb is. In around '92 they started putting a check valve in the power valve circuit to prevent blow out of that valve. It can be added on a rebuild too. Time will tell if it did blow out......
I don't understand why PCM did not grind those numbers off on a reverse engine
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2018 at 12:29am
I just put a rebuild kit in the carb so I can rebuild again if need be. Yea 2 sets of firing order numbers is terrible. I'm going to grind them off and touch up paint.
Thanks.......Tom
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2018 at 9:15am
LH firing order on intake is normal on any marine engine with a factory intake. For RH rotation, just start with 1 and read the rest of the numbers backwards.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2018 at 3:37pm
Got in running......Thanks for support. Now we need tp lake test it.
Thanks.......Tom
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2018 at 6:47pm
How does it compare to the AC Delco OEM distributor?

Do you feel a difference?
'85 2001 454
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2018 at 9:57am
Hi Ian

Some people think the DUI is like the holy grail of distributors

Others would say, it's just another distributor.

If you're replacing a junk worn out distributor with something new, the new one of whatever brand should feel better   

What's this Delco you have on a PCM 454?, They came with Prestolites originally

One of your old posts says that you ordered a new distributor back in July
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2018 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Hi Ian

Indeed...but only with the RED cap...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Hi Ian

Indeed...but only with the RED cap...

JQ

Totally predictable that you'd have a response to my comment.

A good one too
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 12:22am
I feel like I see Mallory distributors in pcm 454s
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 1:23am
Well.................., I feel you might be right.

I've had one of each over the years and see listings for both
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 1:32am

Hi Ian

Others would say, it's just another distributor.

If you're replacing a junk worn out distributor with something new, the new one of whatever brand should feel better   

What's this Delco you have on a PCM 454?, They came with Prestolites originally

One of your old posts says that you ordered a new distributor back in July

Hahaha Yeah, I did order a DUI distributor..... but after that one damned boat shop completely ***************ed the whole project up, the engine manufacturer demanded that they send it back (as the manufacturer didn't want their name dragged thru the mud because of what a shop ***************ed up).

Once the manufacturer got the 1st rebuilt engine back from the shop, he said there was so much done wrong, and things ***************ed up that he scrapped the whole engine, and just built me a new one from scratch (and the shop had to foot the bill). He said he preferred to use the Delco distributor.

So, I do have a brand new DUI distributor (with a red top of course) sitting in my garage, unused.. I'm trying to decide if I should use it on my new 454, or sell it.
'85 2001 454
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 1:50am
Is it a Delco EST electronic distributor?

It sounds like it's installed already and maybe the engine is running.

They're a good distributor, so is the DUI

The EST has no flyweights or springs to control advance. It's done electronically, so less moving parts and more electronics

That red cap DUI will be a hot seller if you go that route
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 2:33am

Is it a Delco EST electronic distributor?

It sounds like it's installed already and maybe the engine is running.

They're a good distributor, so is the DUI

The EST has no flyweights or springs to control advance. It's done electronically, so less moving parts and more electronics

It is!!! I took her on her maiden voyage today! Of course it was 30's and snowing.. haha

But great to get her out!
'85 2001 454
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 11:48pm
I'd be interested in that DUI for my Barefooter!
Old school goin back to school!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 12:01am

Told ya so
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2018 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by JDD33 JDD33 wrote:

I'd be interested in that DUI for my Barefooter!

Message me!
'85 2001 454
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic