NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

95 Ski Nautique Drain Plug Modified

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 95 Ski Nautique Drain Plug Modified
    Posted: September-08-2018 at 5:42pm
I added a modification to my center drain plug under the engine by the Ski Bar.

The boat could not drain 100% using the factory drain no matter how I cranked the nose, up or down.   
Right or wrong I used my dremel tool and cut the drain lip down so water can drain almost completely.   My old Malibu had this issue also and I cut it down 20 years ago. It never had a problem and I hope this one never has a leak issue. It could have been cut prettier but space is tight down there so I called it good enough.
My boat is stored in my basement garage, The temp in there never gets above 78* or so.
The boat does not dry well in there so I either leave it out till dry or use a fan to dry it in the garage. May be overkill for some of you but I wanted mine to drain better.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2018 at 5:50pm
Mark,
Very clean and dry bilge! Paul will be envying you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2018 at 6:32pm
Thanks Pete, we went out last night for a Ski and I pulled a couple wakeboarders, went into the garage this morning and smelled the boat was still wet. Got me motivated to help get the water out.   We had one of those really rare nights where no body showed up.
The lake was smooth and nice.   We hit 101 degrees yesterday after a couple weeks of much cooler weather. Normally the lake is a stinking zoo with lots of boats out anytime it is 100*.   We lucked out and had very nice water.   Brought back great memories of skiing when our city population was 6,000 people and the lake was always like this.
Now the City is nearing 80,000 30 years later and I bet 1/2 of those have boats.
Wish I could roll back the clock.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2018 at 6:47pm
Great mod!

I used to sponge it out, wasted a lot of time!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2018 at 6:51pm
Mark,
I know the feeling. Yes, it's not like it was way way back but still here it's not as bad as some places in Wisconsin. On holiday weekends it does get crowed to a point where I just don't go out. One thing that helps is here on the lakes I'm on we have a very small number of day boaters. The other is pretty much all the buildable lake front properties have been built on so I don't see boat traffic increasing in the future. Today it's a beautiful 72 degree sunny day and looking out on the lake I see one fisherman. I should be out in the boat!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2018 at 11:29pm
On Labor day , there were 3 boaters on our lake . And two of those were mine ( my boat and Superjet ).
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2018 at 11:34pm
Always made me wonder why the drain plug wasn't flush for complete draining . My Ski Supreme was the same way .
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2018 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Faceplant Faceplant wrote:

Always made me wonder why the drain plug wasn't flush for complete draining . My Ski Supreme was the same way .

Per ANSI B 1.20.1

Pipe size: 3/4"
Length of thread: 3/4

I'm not aware of any hulls in our class of boats that have a 3/4" thick hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2018 at 1:00am
Couldn't they theoretically turn the plug upside down and have it flush with the inside hull and have it protrude on the outside . Dry bilge ( especially in the wood stringer days ) .   
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2018 at 7:51pm
Well..... if they put it in from the bottom and it ever fell out I think the result could be a bit of an issue if you were in the middle of the lake.   At least if it comes loose inside the boat you have a chance to reinstall it before sinking.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2018 at 8:38pm

Couldn't they theoretically turn the plug upside down

Can't because pipe threads are tapered \ / you'd be trying to start the plug at the smaller end. Be thankful for what you have V drives only have a stern plug,cannot even reach it from the platform!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2018 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Couldn't they theoretically turn the plug upside down

Can't because pipe threads are tapered \ / you'd be trying to start the plug at the smaller end. Be thankful for what you have V drives only have a stern plug,cannot even reach it from the platform!

They could tap it from the other direction but, it still wouldn't be flush with the bilge due to the thickness of the flange,

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2018 at 9:17pm
Nice mod and a good idea.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2018 at 9:25pm
Well .... then of course the pipe threads would be protruding below the hull. I'd think that would perhaps affect the water flow/ wake, however small of a difference. Could be a bigger difference than you'd think though given the shape and depth at what appears to be about a half inch, is not very hydrodynamic.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2018 at 10:47pm
Was not aware of taper . Very good idea . I am going to modify mine this Winter .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic