Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine rebuild question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SeattleFordFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine rebuild question
    Posted: September-01-2006 at 3:07pm
Ok, I know this question has probably been asked thousands of times, but I can not find a thread that discusses it, so I am asking again.

In my 1980 SN I have a 351 w/reverse rotation. My question is when I rebuild this engine, can I put a standard engine rebuild kit into it, or does it need to be marine specific, and if it needs to be specific, why? If you have any more tips on these engines, that would be helpful also...

Thanks in advance CCF for all the a$$istance you provide. I do really appreciate it.
Travs

Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a way, it usually costs more money.

1980 Ski Nautique
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2006 at 3:27pm
First, a big distinction...not all marine parts are reverse rotation. I haven't rebuilt mine yet so I'll defer tho the experts.
Are you talking about changing the rotation of the engine to standard rotation, or just what kit would you need to rebuild and keep the engine reverse rotation and marine quality?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2006 at 4:14pm
Use Fel-pro gaskets (auto will work). But you'll need a reverse one piece rear seal.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2006 at 5:07pm
thats what I needed. I will be leaving the engine a reverse rotation, and just rebuilding to stock approximately, and running. I just wanted to know what kind of gasket kit to use.

Thanks Tim
Travs

Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a way, it usually costs more money.

1980 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2006 at 10:25pm
good luck on the rebuild,1980 should have the 2 piece oil at the rear,these are still available,vince at discount inboard marine,j.a.chambers both can sell a complete PCM lower gasket kit. then all you need is a valve grind set,head gaskets ,valve seals, valve cover gask. all are included in these two sets.word of caution,,,,,buy the stuff that came in your motor,car parts are for cars. if you have a one piece rear main,PCM has discontinued their reverse rotation rear main.happy hunting............boat dr   
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2006 at 11:06pm
lol I thought you were asking about a kit with rings, bearings, the "whole 9 yards".
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2006 at 12:08am
How extensive are you going with your rebuild? Pistons? New cam? Yes/No. You'll probably need to tear your's down to determine. How many hours does it have on it now? If you're going to install a new cam, a reverse rotation engine needs a special core/grind. At a minimum you'll want new rod, main, and cam bearings, gaskets, rings, timing set and oil pump. For the bearings, rings, timing set and pump, automotive is fine as long as it's heavy duty or performance. If you need pistons, go with forged or hypereutectic. You should be able to find a kit that has all of this. Remember - HEAVY DUTY! Standard automotive stuff is for grocery getting soccer mom mini-vans. For gaskets, the above advice is good. For your cam, Federal Mogul or Comp Cams are two I can think of at the moment. Hope this helps.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2006 at 7:19pm
Around 1980 Ford went to the one piece rear seal. If it has a two piece, don't waste your money on the marine version. It's the same as the auto part, same Ford number on it, you're just paying for a different package with marine on it for about 3 times the price. One the two piece seal, the crank has the wick lines, one piece, the seal has the wick lines.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2006 at 6:20pm
Wow, thats great everyone, I appreciate all the a$$istance. I wasnt aware of the one piece with grooves and such, thank you very much.

As far as the cam, it will remain the same, but I may add a set of AFR heads, just a mild 185's, and a new intake, ARP pistons, have the velvet rebuilt, and see how she does. I dont want to maximize everything now, cause I will probably build it more later. Gotaa have something to look forward to.

Thanks again for all the great a$$istance.
Travs

1980 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic