NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 W Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2018 at 9:00pm
Here's a picture of the location with the cover removed courtesy of somebody on CCF

audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2018 at 10:08am
Thanks Chris and Ken, I will bring a new resistor next time I get to go down to the boat and hope that fixes my problem
Art
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2018 at 11:00am
Originally posted by audiodude audiodude wrote:

Thanks Chris and Ken, I will bring a new resistor next time I get to go down to the boat and hope that fixes my problem
Art

Art,
Ceramic resistors don't gain or loose resistance. They are ether good at there design resistance or "open" meaning there's no continuity so no current flows through them. There's a element inside producing the resistance so when it "burns out", it's like a light bulb that no longer works. Taking a VOM with you so you can confirm resistance and or volts in and out.

My points don't looked burnt     

You can't tell the condition of the point contact faces by looking. Again, put the VOM to work to check them. Disconnect the - wire off the coil and with the points closed, Ohm between it and ground (the block). You should get a near zero Ohm reading. .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2018 at 12:01pm

I do not see a BR anywhere on the engine, the coil says use with a BR but since I have owned the boat there isn't a BR anywhere that I can see.     

First Pete, he has to see if he has a ballast resistor
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2018 at 6:57pm
Ok so I finally got back the boat. There is indeed a resistor right where you guys said it would be so that answers that question. I did a full tune up, Points, Plugs, Condenser, Cap and Rotor. I took the boat out it ran great. I then changed to the ignition wires, started the boat and seem to run fine. Got ready to go ski I idled out my friend jumped in the water said hit it and the boat died, same problem as described earlier in the post. I checked one of the plugs it looked fine, I rechecked the points they look fine, I checked the coil and it is delivering 7.5 volts to the points. Then checked the fuel line by blowing air in with a bicycle pump, there didn't seem to be a problem as I heard air blowing in the tank. I checked the vent tube, no problem there. I could get the boat up to speed if nursed it but even then if I tried to go full throttle it would bog down and die. It will go right up to 4000+ rpm with no load. Help!
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2018 at 7:28pm
Anti siphon and carb inlet screen need to be checked.
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2018 at 9:42pm
Thanks Tim. I didn't realize it but I took off the elbow and now i guess the anti siphon valve, unfortunately since I didn't know it was the anti siphon valve I didn't check it . However the elbow actually attached to the pick up tube, is that right? I will do some more checking tomorrow.
1989 Correct Craft 2001

audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2018 at 9:43pm
that should have read, the elbow is not actually attached to the pick up tube
1989 Correct Craft 2001

roadtrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadtrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2018 at 10:45pm
It is very easy and a common problem to get the spark plug wires re-arranged when replacing a set. Check to ensure your cables are routed to the correct spark plugs. And don't be fooled by the firing order cast on the intake manifold. Look on the aluminum tag near your ballast resistor.
roadtrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadtrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2018 at 10:27pm
"Confused" emoticon has me confused. Did I do that?
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2018 at 1:26pm
That Emoticon is embarassed because I didn’t know that I had the anti siphon valve in my hand and didn’t know it. Anyway fireing order was correct. I found some debris in the anti siphon valve, checked the intake screen at the carb which was clean rechecked the point gap all was good. Noticed excess gas in the carb coming from the primaries. Cleaned and checked the float level put it back together and voila success! Boats ran great and we got a couple of runs in. Thanks for all the help.
1989 Correct Craft 2001

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2018 at 9:38pm
Well at least you learned a little more about your boats ignition and fuel system along the way

And once again that old saying about"when you think it's an ignition problem check out the fuel system" and vice versa seems to have worked.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic