NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SN New Battery

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
damonwells View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damonwells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SN New Battery
    Posted: September-10-2018 at 9:18pm
I have a 1990 Correct Craft Ski Nautique with the FORD 351 Engine.
The boat is in Idaho at a lake at 7000 feet.
Need a new Battery.
Looking for suggestions for Battery Type/Size and Manufacturer please ...
Thanks and cheers, John
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 10:09pm
Some reading from your past. What happened back then. You didn't reply.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 10:11pm
The battery well in your boat is very shallow for the marine batteries of today and the very common 24M will not fit - about an inch or so too tall. There are a few size classes that will work but few choices in a 'marine rated' battery. Some will chime in and tell you an automotive battery will work just fine. And maybe for them it will, but it really depends on the environment that you'll be in. Marine batteries are built with the pounding and jostling that the marine environment can throw at you -automotive batteries, not so much. However, without starting that whole debate (probably too late now anyway) most will likely steer you toward a group 65, though you're not going to find one in a marine battery. Group 34M is what I chose for my 95' as I'm one of those that won't install an automotive battery in a boat.

What you'll want to look for is at least 500CCA or 600MCA though a lot of folks opt for more amps. Some feel that too much amps is a bad thing, I'm not entirely convinced of that argument. Mine is on the higher side @ 880CCA

You'll also want at least a 120 minute reserve capacity or 65Ahr (amp-hour)

MOST IMPORTANTLY .... DO NOT buy a deep cycle battery!! Deep cycle batteries are not to be used to start your engine and should only be used in a 2 battery system as the "house" battery for running the accessory equipment & lights, etc.   Buy a starting, or cranking battery or a 'dual purpose' battery if you'll only have a one battery system.

Brands are going to get you a lot of pings .... each has their favorites. Some are "cheap", some are just really good, but expensive.
Highly rated battery brands include Odyssey, Interstate, Northstar, Deka and X2Power just to name a few.

Hope this helps and good luck!
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 10:46pm
Walmart 65 N Everstart Maxx......done enjoy.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 7:27am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

That right there is all you really need to get unless you're into advertising hype and needlessly spending money.

it's about the same size as the group 41 or 48 that are hard to find and at least here on CCF it has a proven track record
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 7:35am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

That right there is all you really need to get unless you're into advertising hype and needlessly spending money.

it's about the same size as the group 41 or 48 that are hard to find and at least here on CCF it has a proven track record

Agree. All the "M" gets you are studs for lug connections and more $$$ for that hype!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 7:38am
Here's a link to some reading here on CCF if you're so inclined

link
damonwells View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damonwells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 4:10pm
AWESOME ... thanks everyone !! Great info as usual. Sorry I didn't respond earlier, forgot about that. I did try and Search for this yesterday and couldn't seem to locate the previous thread. Anyhow, I'm set now ... so thank you all ! Cheers, John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic