Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1994 Hydrodyne stringer job

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2019 at 10:55am
looking for Douglas Fir this week. 2x10 about 15 ft long around 8% moisture. hopefully clean it all up this weekend start grinding and replacing each stringer one at a time.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2019 at 6:18pm
So I found Doug fir locally for 38 bucks a board.

I also bought 5ftx 40ft of 1.5 oz chop strand glass from my fiberglass guy. He said I can't use epoxy resin with this stuff but I don't need epoxy? Reading on here that epoxy resin is better?

He said to do about 4-6 layers of the 1.5 oz glass for the stringers. How much resin should I expect? Start with a gallon?

I was hoping to make my cpes with the resin and xylol. Does this still work with poly resin?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2019 at 7:12pm
Here is a quote form Tim-
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Vinylester is a good resin. CC used it to build their hulls from '89 to '92 (AME4000). Pretty sure the stuff they use now (AME 5000) is a vinyl-epoxy blend. Prior to '89, they used poly.
On a single boat project, youre only talking 10-15 gallons of resin. The extra cost of epoxy is only going to run you $100-150, as you can get a good epoxy for $50/gal, vs. $40/gal for vinyl. (Hopefully youre not looking at West System for your epoxy, btw- now THAT is what I call cost prohibitive!) $150 in the scheme of the rebuild costs for one boat is a drop in the bucket- especially considering the amount of labor involved. Most here use epoxy because the cost difference is small, epoxy is superior in terms of strength, and its very nice to work with. Getting the ratio of hardener correct on vinyl can be tricky, you have to use wax to get it to fully set up, and it produces just a *touch* more odor.

That being said, vinyl is still a perfectly acceptable way to go. We've seen good rebuilds using poly as well (like Hasbeenskier's). Personally, having used all 3, I'll stick with epoxy for the structure on all of my personal boats!

Anything chopped will not be as strong as something woven. Have you looked at other stringer replacement threads?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2019 at 9:47am
I have been reading other threads but i get lost in all the fiberglass variations (epoxy, poly, vinyl, cpes, pb, different kinds of mat, different kinds of epoxy) ive never done any fiberglass at all.

My family friend who does fiberglass and sold me the chop strand glass is confident that i will have no problems using poly. do you guys think i should be doing something different?

can i use poly resin over cpes?
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2019 at 10:19am
Like your friend said, you will have no problem doing it with poly, but epoxy has several advantages over poly. The poly will pass water through it where as the epoxy won’t. Boat builders use and have used poly for many years. I looked at the options and thought about vinylester because it is better than polyester resin, but ultimately decided to use epoxy. All will work and will last several years, but I wanted to do my best to prevent rot from happening again. A lot depends on how moist everything gets and stays. Storing in a garage between uses may make it last a long time and never give you trouble. You have to decide what is right for your situation.
'92 Sport Nautique
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2019 at 10:20am
Yes CPES will stick to poly or epoxy . US Composites is a good source of information and material.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2019 at 10:37am
Another big advantage to epoxy is that it has a much longer working time, so you can get more done per mix cycle.

I may be wrong, but I remember reading that epoxy sticks to cured poly, but not the other way around.       I think you have to have a conversion coat to put poly over epoxy.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2019 at 1:51pm
So should I not be listening to my friend and got with 1708 biax and epoxy instead?

This is starting to get expensive
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2019 at 3:04pm
If you don;'t care if it lasts more than 10 years, poly will be OK. Do some research to see if poly sticks to CPES though.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2019 at 4:33pm

Is this what you guys suggest for layup scheduled or could i get away with just doing a couple layers of 1708 on the primary's and one layer on the secondary? if i choose to go that way.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2019 at 4:38pm
what kind of fiberglass have you guys done over the floor?
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2019 at 6:13pm
can you send me name and phone number of source of douglas fir lumber thanks dan
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2019 at 9:33am
im getting it from zeeland Lumber in Wyoming MI

(616) 879-1185
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2019 at 9:49am
So i think im going to go with the cheaper poly resin.

I called jamestown and they said poly resin will stick to cpes just fine if i wipe it down with acetone and give it a light sanding before hand.

So im going to have the cpes keep it waterproof and let the doug fir give me the strength. the fiberglass just needs to be strong enough to keep the stringers to the hull.

I can tell you anything will be better than how it is now and how ive been running it the past few years...

Im also going to be doing such a better job of sealing the stringers than hydrodyne did. i cant believe how much exposed wood there was on the stringers. they stopped fiberglass about 4 inches from the transom and just left it exposed. they put so many screws in the very bottom of the stringers to hold a gas line in place so it didn't take much water in the bilge to soak the stringers.

I guess ill let you guys know in ten years if im doing it again or if you guys all fell for a marketing trick.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 12:47pm
I got the stringers cut this weekend im pretty happy with how they turned out.

Next thing i need to do is cut the rest of the little bit of floor i left around the edges.
what is the best way to do that?

A bit of a challenge is going to be to cut around the strip of wood just at floor level. I think it was probably glassed on after the floor was in place...

I could try to very carefully cut if off with a grinder but id hate to go through the hull...

Do you guys think ill have a problem getting the glass to lay around and over top of the strips like the curvy line in the pic? or am i going to have to cut that strip out?

MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 2:14pm
In order to properly glass in the floor, the strip of wood needs to come out. Anything other than very light glass won’t get into the space between the floor and the wood strip. I am assuming you will have some mat on the floor surface.
'92 Sport Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 2:30pm
I concur, those radius need fillets else the layup will be full of air and voids. Best get it out of the way and put the non-structural stuff back later.

I find a pnuematic cutoff wheel with a makeshift water steam affixed to it aimed at the disk makes a nice cut., controls airborne fibers in the garage or yard,, into a slurry you hose down, can collect and dispose of.

of course full ppe, faceshield, tyvek, and particle respirator
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 4:30pm
thanks guys. those are gonna kinda suck to get cut off...

you can see them in this pic circled. its what the cargo net screws into.

camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2019 at 10:58am

Got the stringers all glassed, bilge painted. and holes for blower pipe and engine cradle drilled. im very happy with how it turned out. engine cradle fits perfectly tight between the stringers. im making floor support for the open bow area out of extruded aluminum that will be through bolted and adding a ski locker.

Moving on to the floors this weekend, looks like the best way to do this is just peanut butter the floor to the stringers and use no screws?

How many layers of glass over the floor is typically done?
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2019 at 11:33am
Very nice job. I’m gonna copy your work someday
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2019 at 7:23pm
Cameron,
Look'n good!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2019 at 9:44am

So i took the oil pan off this weekend and everything under it looks fine including the pickup. I dont think anything was touched.

Im gonna try to bang it out this week and get it back into shape and maybe jb weld or have the welder where i work fill any holes but i dont think there are any. unless that seems like a bad idea to you guys...

Im going with 2 layers of glass on the floor with 2 extra layers of strips around the edges. today, cut some holes for the ski locker and wires to go thru carpet latter this week and put her all back together on Saturday and hopefully a test drive on Monday!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic