Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1984 Ski Nautique windshield

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dandelang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandelang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1984 Ski Nautique windshield
    Posted: October-15-2018 at 4:15pm
searching for the main glass. Side panels are intact.
captaindan
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2018 at 4:19pm
Answer from August::
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by dandelang dandelang wrote:

My main piece of glass shattered. I am looking for a replacement. Any help out there?

Your local glass shop is the best place.

and thread from July

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2018 at 12:43am
Good luck!
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2018 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by ScottZ ScottZ wrote:

Good luck!

Scott,
You have responded with the "good luck" before. Are you refering to having a glass shop cut the glass or just finding an OEM piece of glass?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BryanBend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanBend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2018 at 6:34pm
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bpo/d/boat-windshield-tracking-fins/6722620214.html

Try this post.

Bryan
1990 Ski Nautique
Need 1990 hull decals for Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2018 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by BryanBend BryanBend wrote:

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bpo/d/boat-windshield-tracking-fins/6722620214.html

Try this post.

Bryan

Direct link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2018 at 7:11pm

Good luck!

Scott,
You have responded with the "good luck" before. Are you refering to having a glass shop cut the glass or just finding an OEM piece of glass?

Probably both, Scott was there when we had this discussion a couple of years ago at SJRR when Uncle Todd’s windshield was broken. Art said it was not that easy to do, sometimes you would break a couple before you got one in. I’ll bet he didn’t worry how much the raw materials were either
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2018 at 10:26pm
I have been off the site for little while just saw your comment Gary. But you are right about what Art said. He said that tempered glass is made flat and then you have to bend it into the frame and that’s where he broke a few of them trying to feed him into the frame. I’ve checked with the glass up before on tempered Glace and they would not touch that project.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2018 at 11:04pm

Originally posted by BryanBend BryanBend wrote:

Try this post.

Bryan

Direct link

I looked at the post. That looks like it may be a 80 or 81 Ski Nautique but the windshield looks like what was used in 84 because it does not have the vents in the side windows.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2018 at 7:54am
Yes, Art reported there were some that broke but consider how many were made by bending. Also, consider we have members who have had success by having a shop cut the glass and then install it in the frame. Just an alternate to trying to find an existing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2018 at 10:29am
I pulled the windshield on my 81 apart to buff the frame. All you need to put it back on is a nice flat carpeted work table, a rubber mallet and use plenty of soapy water around the gasket. The tempered glass will conform to the curve of the frame easily but you have to have a little finesse and work it. To have a piece of glass made I would first fit a template of 1/4" masonite/hardboard into the frame and make sure it fits perfectly and then bring it to a glass shop. I was a commercial glazer for 12 years so handling glass was not a big deal to me but I would suspect this is a little daunting for a first timer, Just don't hit the edges of tempered glass with anything . Always have the gasket on and the frame started to protect it.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2018 at 10:29am
I was quoted $175 for the glass by a local shop with the offer to assist with install but any breakage was on me
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2018 at 10:49am
The only glass you can use is tempered glass which is cut and tempered to order. If it was a flat panel you could get by using a laminated safety glass as it will not bend.   White Lake used to shock this glass but no longer has them due to the quantity minimum requied when placing an order.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2018 at 12:19pm

The only glass you can use is tempered glass which is cut and tempered to order. If it was a flat panel you could get by using a laminated safety glass as it will not bend.   White Lake used to shock this glass but no longer has them due to the quantity minimum requied when placing an order.

Scott, Is the front panel of the 84 windshield different than an 81? I hear what you;re saying but when I pulled my 81 apart the glass goes board flat. You bend the glass when you reinstall the aluminum frame. yes it was tempered.   Doesn't sound possible but it is. I know it's been discussed here before several times. Please correct me if I'm wrong so I don't give out false advice, Thanks
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2018 at 12:48pm
You are correct. The tempered will bend but the laminated safety will not. I was referring to a windshield that would have been in a 70's boat that has the flat panels. I have used the laminated as a cost savings alternative.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2018 at 1:22pm

You are correct. The tempered will bend but the laminated safety will not. I was referring to a windshield that would have been in a 70's boat that has the flat panels. I have used the laminated as a cost savings alternative.

Gotcha. Thanks
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2018 at 1:47pm
I replaced 2 panes in the shamrock since a po had replaced the original glass with plastic and it was crazing. I was surprised at the cost
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2018 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Art said it was not that easy to do, sometimes you would break a couple before you got one in.

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

, a rubber mallet and use plenty of soapy water around the gasket. The tempered glass will conform to the curve of the frame easily but you have to have a little finesse and work it.

Maybe instead of rubber mallets, the CC crew was using those "finishing hatchets" left over from their wood boat building techniques!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2018 at 11:52pm
Did you find a windshield?
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic