Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Draining Transmission Fluid

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
subli572 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subli572 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Draining Transmission Fluid
    Posted: September-04-2006 at 4:01pm
Hi, I have a 1989 Ski Nautique with a PMC model 40 transmission, I used to drain the fluid with a manual pump but reading the owners manual I saw that you can drain the fluid directly from the transmission without any pump.

The manual says that I have to remove the oil return line at oil cooler and lower the hose below transmission, I did that but it seems that the outlet from the transmission where the hose is connected is not low enough for the fluid to go out.

Does someone knows how to do this correctly?

Thank you for any information.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 4:16pm
you forgot to fire the engine to pump it out. actually it probably doesnt say to start the engine. but over the hundreds of times that i do it on boats and our test stand it does not hurt anything, it is a real time saver. if you are doing a trans oil change add another qt or 2 and get it to op temp, remove top line put in bucket and fire engine, when oil stops coming out of hose turn off engine. the extra oil helps dilute the dirty oil increasing your chances of getting the old oil out.
"the things you own will start to own you"
subli572 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subli572 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 4:40pm
Thank you for your answer eric, I was wondering if I should start the engine to pump the fluid out buy I was afraid of breaking down the transmission.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 8:16pm
Eric, great advice! I wouldn't have thought of this. I appreciate your help on the board in the last month.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic