NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stripped / Rusted drain plug hole

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 9:16am
Bruce,
What engine(s) are you talking about? The drain only was common up until I'd say the 80's and is still used. I just did my neighbors and drained only. It's never had any anti in it for over 60 years. My own engines I never used to put the anti in ether. When I worked at Watercraft Sales, we never used the stuff ether.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 10:25am
Pete, Fords and Chevys. I been using that method since I popped a freeze plug on a PCM 240 about 20 years ago. That engine had been drained and filled with -50 anti freeze. Obviously, some water got stuck in the engine, and yes I always poke for scale. I always purge now and most always water proceeds the antifreeze. My 2003 Indmar manual instructs to just drain, so some do still advocate for that method.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 12:31pm
I don't put as much in, but notice the same, I squirt antifreeze in and a watery mix comes back out, which makes me think maybe what I'm doing makes sense. In the end, anything that makes us sit in our easy chairs in February and feel better about the safety of our boats is worth doing.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 12:33pm
I too have popped a freeze plug with a drain only... I cycle a little AF through each drain before reinstalling the plugs. Starboard drain on Windsors is pretty far forward (high) and doesn’t get all the water. Big proponent of probing here also. I usually fill (at least a gallon) on my final winterization of the season. Usually just drain on the early season winterizations.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Bruce,
What engine(s) are you talking about? The drain only was common up until I'd say the 80's and is still used. I just did my neighbors and drained only. It's never had any anti in it for over 60 years. My own engines I never used to put the anti in ether. When I worked at Watercraft Sales, we never used the stuff ether.

So what made the old dog {that's you Pete} change his ways and start to use some antifreeze?

From a 2012 thread

Graham,
I agree with Gary that the drain only has been used for years and is still used by many - even marinas! I too did the same for many years. The anti is, as Gary says, just cheap insurance. I store my boats in northern Wisconsin where it can get down to -30F so, I now do add about a gal of anti to each engine (the 4 will only take a bout 1/2 gal,!!)

Since none of the engines we talk about on this site were designed as marine engines, the drain plugs aren't in the best spot for ensuring all the water is out especially with engines mounted at an angle..

Everybody winterizes a little differently, so whatever works for ya' must be OK till that plug, whatever it's called pops out and maybe the block decided to crack too.

People talk about water having room to expand and do no damage if the small amount left freezes and then somebody comes along, does it that way and has a problem

Bruce's method sure sounds good to me if you're putting any RV antifreeze in ;[)]

But like I said, everybody has their preference
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

So what made the old dog {that's you Pete} change his ways and start to use some antifreeze?
From a 2012 thread

. The anti is, as Gary says, just cheap insurance. )

Ken,
I'd say I've been using anti in my boats for well over 30 years. As mentioned, it's cheap insurance plus I guess I just went along with the tread that everyone seemed to be doing. The neighbors I did a couple weeks ago didn't get any anti but it's a Chris/Hercules K and like you mentioned is an older marine that drains very well with it's plug all the way aft and low.

So, speaking of old dogs, what does the other CCfan old dog do.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 4:08pm
Who you callin' an old dog?

You're at least 180 days older than me

I do it the way them boys in Maine do it

Drain everything, put the plugs/hoses back in pour antifreeze through everything and pull the plugs/hoses again to drain things.

I use the minus 100 degree stuff because I like the color and I get it from a plumber friend.

I like to play with my refractometer and check the last stuff to drain out and make sure I'm happy, figuring anything that's left in the engine is the same as what last drained out.

I don't worry about whether the engine is corroding away from the inside because the block is basically empty instead of full of antifreeze. I figure a boating seasons worth of straight water in the engine causes a lot more corrosion/rust than the air in the engine during the winter

And I make sure the female openings are well lubed up before inserting the male plug

tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 4:13pm
ELIZABETH! I’m Comin!
[/QUOTE]
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 4:27pm
Ken, after we purge with -50, we then put 2 gals of -100 in the engine. This may be unnecessary, but that's our method. We discuss every year if we should drain the -100 out and reuse it in each engine and leave all the engines empty. This year I bought 12 -100 and 3 -50 for purging to do 6 boats.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 4:54pm
I hate it when we have sustained -50deg temps here in New England and all my blocks freeze up from using inferior AF.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 5:04pm
We don't consider where you're from New England. More like north NYC.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 5:12pm
You guys are using the wrong formula.   In California, I roll the boat into the garage and close the door. Insulated basement garage never drops below 60 in cold of Winter.
By Cold, a real cold snap in Northern California gets way down to +28 or so.

I know, we are also stuck with all the High Taxes and other California Negatives but, Hey, there are reasons we put up with that. Our Weather is the main reason.

On a serious note, as you guys are talking about drilling and tapping in engine blocks always investigate the space available. I was in an engine shop and they showed me a good block that had a perfect hole drilled right through a cylinder wall.   In an engine you need to think about what is behind the hole you are fixing. A good sharp bit will drill right through cast iron quickly. Maybe add a tape line on your drill bit marking your stop depth to avoid a costly mistake.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

We don't consider where you're from New England. More like north NYC.

And we consider you to be Canadian... but I suspect our average local temps are closer to yours than NYC by a good bit. I probably need to find a source for that -100 stuff!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 5:39pm
Next time you're drinking a beer, admiring that beautiful boat on your coozi, read the writing and that's where you can get some -100.

Average temps don't matter. It's those lows in a cold snap like last winter where -35 was happening frequently for a couple weeks.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 5:43pm

I use the minus 100 degree stuff because I like the color and I get it from a plumber friend.

And I make sure the female openings are well lubed up before inserting the male plug

I've had a few people question my excessive use of never-seize ..... but it makes a huge difference in these little pipe thread plugs.

I didn't see -100 in a couple of stores I tried, including tractor supply, where do people who don't know Ken's friend get it?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 5:51pm
I didn’t say avg temps matter, just that NYC is a different climate from here since they’re a ways south, on the shore, at sea level... we get different weather here in the hills that seems to be within a few degrees of southern Maine when I occasionally check.

If a few nightly excursions to -35 are enough to worry you with -50 AF, I would have to assume you start draining your blocks when overnight lows approach 45 degrees? (15 degrees of margin)

I normally don’t winterize until I see sustained (24-48hrs) below freezing. We don’t see many days in a row here below -50.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I didn't see -100 in a couple of stores I tried, including tractor supply, where do people who don't know Ken's friend get it?

Hamilton Marine. Other stores have it, even some on line free shipping. You want to shop for it as it's pricey, although on sale $7.99-$8.99.

Tim, I don't trust quality control on a $3.95 product enough for a 15 degree margin that could ruin an engine.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2018 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I've had a few people question my excessive use of never-seize ..... but it makes a huge difference in these little pipe thread plugs.

Most any plumbing supply outfit will have some.

Sold as boiler anti freeze

One brand would be Hercules Cryo Tek minus 100.

A 5 gallon container isn't terrible pricewise especially if you have an account with the place

West Marine sells the minus 100 RV stuff too

Here's a West Marine link to info on different antifreeze ratings that they sell

link
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2018 at 3:14pm
Wow. My thread has gone into places I didn't expect. Seattle just doesn't get that cold. I think I've seen single-digit temps once and never below zero.

Still raining here, but warm (in the mid-50s or so). Hope to get a few minutes of sunshine soon so I can tap, put in my cheap anitfreeze, and put her away fro the winter.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2018 at 1:48am
We have success!!! The tap definitely made the drain hole bigger but it worked. My brass plug is snug and my block has been protected with antifreeze. If it happens any more I might have to move up to the next size (I think 3/8").

Thank you all so much for the help.

Kevin
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic