Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

marine oil filter equivalent

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: marine oil filter equivalent
    Posted: September-04-2006 at 9:38pm
First oil change coming up for my 89. It currently has a sierra 18-7875 marine oil filter. From the existing posts, it looks like there is no reason to stick with a marine filter - is that correct?

Also, can anyone provide help determining what the equivalent motorcraft filter would be?

Thanks!
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 10:11pm
Is it a ford 351? If so I believe you would want a motorcraft FL-1A.
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 10:13pm
351 correct - thanks!
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 10:18pm
second the fl 1a
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 8:26pm
firm beleiver in putting stock parts on your ford,FL-1A & Autolite plugs ,do some research on the oils that you use . they ain't the same as they were....Valvoline Racing oil,Rotella are two that still have the Zinc and other heavy metals that are essential to flat tappet cams.......... boat dr
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 10:20pm
Fl-A1...I agree!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2006 at 8:55am
Boat Dr., are you serious about Rotella? I read somewhere that rotella diesel oil has a wax or something in it that isn't good. Now I have a diesel truck and run that. Different story, but in a gas motor we can and not hurt anything. I know Rotella has a lot of addatives for soot and antifoamers, but let me know if this is a better oil for the 351
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2006 at 9:34am
read the above reasons for the use of the Rotella or Valvoline Racing oil.has to do with the heavy metals,Cam Research custom ground the cam in my 331 stroker,they are the ones that recommended a change in the oil(20/50 Castol)when running a flat tappet cam. the roller cams do not have the extreme pressures generated at the cam lobes.I know that in the hot rod croud they are having lots of cam and lifter problems,maybe they(cam grinders) have a valid point. I have too much money invested in this motor ,and so far (10 hrs.) says i am doing the rite thing..........boat dr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic