NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

difficult start & high idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dgabler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgabler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: difficult start & high idle
    Posted: December-31-2018 at 10:30pm
1988 SN 2001 PCM 351

I am having some issues and I am not sure of the solution so I am reaching out for advice/direction.

First: After the engine is nice and warm it does not always want to start back up. When cold or sitting overnight it will start right up typically. The issue crops up typically after a skier change and I need to pump the throttle twice and give it one or two start tries, then it will typically start. I did search the forum and found that there were two possible issues: 1. fuel running down carb barrel after turning the ignition off and 1 fuel in the clear flex line from the pump but in my case neither of these issues is happening.

A video is here: https://youtu.be/23t55ZQUmBM

Second problem:
When cold I have a nice slow idle however when the engine warms up the idle is much much higher, is there anything I should fix/change for this?
I did attach a vacuum gauge and adjusted the needles to maximum vacuum but these same settings made starting nigh impossible so I undid my changes.

Much thanks for your input!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2018 at 11:43pm
You might want to check to see if the coil is getting hot when it is having the problem.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
dgabler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgabler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2019 at 1:59pm
Coil was toasty. Changed the coil and it seems to start easier. Still have to pump the throttle to start but seems to catch easier.
WakeskateNW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeskateNW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2019 at 3:07pm
what happens when you set your idle after it’s all warmed up?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2019 at 3:31pm
Sounds much like idle mix is too lean

Repeat your idle mix/vacuum setting procedure, but do it while in gear, in the water. Have an assistant or tie up to your dock. You will settle on different setting.

that will improve throttle-free starting and consistent idle in/out of gear.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2019 at 3:46pm
Make sure secondary is closing all the way. I found this on mine.
dgabler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgabler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2019 at 5:14pm
Was having issues of keeping the engine idling after warmup - specifically noticed when re-fueling at the gas dock. Could not keep the engine idling in gear (no wake). Had to run a bit higher RPM.

Previously had tuned the idle screws to max vac at idle they were at 1.25 & 1.25 turns out.
Followed the turning procedure of finding best setting and settled on 1.75 & 1.5 (driver/passenger side) on the fully warm engine at no-load idle

will have to try doing the adjustment when under load next time at the lake. Last time I tried using the vacuum and adjusting for highest draw it was extremely difficult to start, but I did that as a curb/no load idle adjustment.

Thank you for all the hints.
dgabler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgabler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2019 at 6:18pm
Made the suggested adjustments while under load (ended up turning screws out 1/8th more) and what a difference. Boat starts much easier now and idles even better. Thank you all!

Had some great runs at Shasta this past week!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic