Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tower for sport nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tower for sport nautique
    Posted: January-02-2019 at 2:18pm
Looking to add a tower to '93 Sport Nautique.

Seems like New Dimension gets the most street cred, should that be the way to go? Anything else I should consider? Needs to be folding and bimini-capable.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/AccessoryShop/Products/Wakeboard-Towers/Custom-Fit-Towers/New-Dimension-Nautique-Flight-Control-Tower.aspx
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2019 at 3:46pm
New Dimensions, hands down. But you probably already knew my opinion.

I'll also repeat my support for the over-tower bimini. Less shade, but fewer headaches. I never would have gone that way, but the '03 came with one and I wouldn't go back.

Happy New Year!
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2019 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by stepper459 stepper459 wrote:

New Dimensions, hands down. But you probably already knew my opinion.

I'll also repeat my support for the over-tower bimini. Less shade, but fewer headaches. I never would have gone that way, but the '03 came with one and I wouldn't go back.

Happy New Year!

Ah yes - can you fold your tower down with the bimini attached? Can't remember.

Same to you buddy
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2019 at 11:38am
ND makes a nice tower with a factory look.
Prefer the under tower bimini for the look as well as it provides the best shade protection.
Had unders on my tower boats for almost 20 yrs and never bump my head, it becomes 2nd nature very quickly, or at least it was for me.
Mine is a Tower Bimini brand, it's a great bimini and would highly recommend.
Down side of the TB under is the bimini will need to be mostly removed, front crossbar and rear support bars and booted, to fold the tower down.

vv Click the Mi Bowt link below for pi's of an under tower bimini vv
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2019 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

ND makes a nice tower with a factory look.
Prefer the under tower bimini for the look as well as it provides the best shade protection.
Had unders on my tower boats for almost 20 yrs and never bump my head, it becomes 2nd nature very quickly, or at least it was for me.
Mine is a Tower Bimini brand, it's a great bimini and would highly recommend.
Down side of the TB under is the bimini will need to be mostly removed, front crossbar and rear support bars and booted, to fold the tower down.

vv Click the Mi Bowt link below for pi's of an under tower bimini vv

Cool thanks - where'd you buy your tower from / where do you think is the best place to buy from?

Looking at the New Dimensions site, seems like they make / sell biminis for their towers. Seems like a safer bet, did you consider doing that? I did have a Tower Bimini on my old boat, agree the quality was great.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2019 at 8:00pm
That is a factory tower, ordered boat with the tower.

The TB Bimini mounts to both the static and folding part of the tower, why it needs to come down to fold. If the ND one only mounts to the folding portion then it's possible it could fold while up, that's how my 99' was although that boat the entire tower folded, there was not a lower static portion like the 05' has.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2019 at 12:39am
With help from Chris Quinner and Dr. Steve, I was able to get an original Flight Control Tower for my 2002 model Sport. I went to Boston to get it and had it re-powder coated from gray to black. I also took Chris's recommendation and spoke with Danny at Tower Bimini's and got an under the tower top. I love it.

These Flight Control Towers (FCT II) seem to show up used in Florida from time to time. Keep a watch here and on www.planetnautique.com. That is how I found my tower. Here is a photo from this summer. Baby Kimber with the boat.

Sorry for the sideways photo. I tried several times to fix it with no luck. I was unable to get a hold of J Bear, my IT guy, since it is late tonight. I tried to hit F12.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2019 at 8:45am
Jbear called it is ctrl shift F12

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2019 at 11:32am
Lewy,

Thanks
Donald
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 3:50pm
I think my bimini is also Tower Bimini brand. It seems pretty well made, and uses Sunbrella fabric.

Folding - well, I've never folded my tower, but for sure the bimini would have to come off, and I don't mean folded up - you'd have to remove it. However, some, if not all of the under-tower ones have some way you can partially collapse them to fold the tower down.

The one I had on the Supra (under tower) was great when the kids were really little but definitely had to come off to fold the tower... which I also never did on that boat.

I assume the folding is for the carport?
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by stepper459 stepper459 wrote:

I think my bimini is also Tower Bimini brand. It seems pretty well made, and uses Sunbrella fabric.

Folding - well, I've never folded my tower, but for sure the bimini would have to come off, and I don't mean folded up - you'd have to remove it. However, some, if not all of the under-tower ones have some way you can partially collapse them to fold the tower down.

The one I had on the Supra (under tower) was great when the kids were really little but definitely had to come off to fold the tower... which I also never did on that boat.

I assume the folding is for the carport?

Yeah, to fit in the carport I'm pretty sure I'll be folding the tower down although I guess there is a chance it might fit, have to measure. Regardless, probably need to have the bimini collapsed for towing no?
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 6:26pm
Unless it is going to be a relatively short trip and under 50 mph take the bimini down or you will be beating the heck out of it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 10:29pm
I keep my Bimini up from the storage site to the gas pump and then to my home. Then to the launch. Never getting over 50 MPH. This is only a 5 mile trip each way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2019 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

I keep my Bimini up from the storage site to the gas pump and then to my home. Then to the launch. Never getting over 50 MPH. This is only a 5 mile trip each way.

I wouldn't worry about it in that case. For the distance he's likely to be towing, though, I'd say for sure put it down/wrap it up, etc.

I guess that's a point for the over-tower bimini, it's a very simple structure and can't really move at all. I wouldn't be as concerned about towing (below highway speeds).
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2019 at 2:13am
Roswell makes a few that fold down farther and are priced competitive with bimini to the ND
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 11:24am
Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

Roswell makes a few that fold down farther and are priced competitive with bimini to the ND

Thanks - just looked at those (hadn't heard of them before). Looks nice, but not a huge fan of the bimini that goes on them. Think I prefer the ND overall.

Best place to buy an ND tower? Direct from the manufacturer or go through onlyinboards.com or another site?
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 10:39am
ND sells factory direct. You can pay just a few more dollars and they will install it for you. They are located in Maryville, TN which is near Knoxville. About a four hour drive from Charlotte. Drop off the boat Fridays AM, take the family to Gatlinburg, TN and pick up the boat Friday night or Monday AM. No worries.

Original Flight control towers do pop up from time to time. I think that Marty Mabe (Site member) might have a line on one used in NC. You can take it to my powdercoater in Denver, NC to have it stripped and coated. My tower was gray and now it is black. I love the job they did. Call me and I can get you in contact with Marty. He is in High Point, NC.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2019 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

ND sells factory direct. You can pay just a few more dollars and they will install it for you. They are located in Maryville, TN which is near Knoxville. About a four hour drive from Charlotte. Drop off the boat Fridays AM, take the family to Gatlinburg, TN and pick up the boat Friday night or Monday AM. No worries.

Original Flight control towers do pop up from time to time. I think that Marty Mabe (Site member) might have a line on one used in NC. You can take it to my powdercoater in Denver, NC to have it stripped and coated. My tower was gray and now it is black. I love the job they did. Call me and I can get you in contact with Marty. He is in High Point, NC.

Excellent thanks... good info on ND, I've been wanting to check out Gatlinburg anyway, that could be a great option.

I'll send you a DM about Marty.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic