Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

rebuilding 351w stock/borred

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Devovino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devovino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rebuilding 351w stock/borred
    Posted: June-10-2004 at 9:12pm
along with refurbishing my 1980 Nautique, I am planning on rebuilding my 351w, thinking about borring it .10 over, any thoughts if this would be a good idea, or if leaving it stock would be in my best interest? The boat is a 1980, but the moter reads 1978, is this typical? And if anyone know who makes aftermarket pistons/ and parts for a newly blueprinted and balanced motor it would be greatly appreciated... ski nauti
80SkiNauty
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2004 at 12:41am
The bore on a motor wears in two ways: 1.it wears cylindrilacally, circumfrence wise, 2. it wears eliptically, oval wise, on the compression stroke it wears to one side and on the exhaust stroke it wears to the other side. Next, you have to figure out how much your cylinders are worn. Then you need to check the pistons. When rings wear, or collapse from heat, the skirts of the pistons will hit the block bore, causing elliptical wear on the cylinders, and the piston skirts even more because, they are cast of aluminum and forged. Wow! this is great! Wrist pins need to be checked for slop, rods need to be re-conditioned, Hey! where do you live?, can I come work on your motor? My 66 motor was cast in April of 66, but the hull was laid in May of 65, Back then it seems that hulls were ready for motors. In your case, maybe they had motors just waiting for a home on the water!
Devovino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devovino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2004 at 3:17pm
Ha, I absorbed, at best, about half of that, but I get the jist. Can you say " MOTORHEAD "
BUT THANKS A LOT FOR THE INFORMATION!@ Now I just need to do the research, I live in Washington state, off of Lake Sammamish, home to Jobe and Oconnel, infamous lake for water ski buffs, and yes feel free to come on over and lets tear this motor down and have some fun, hows a 12.... no a case sound, to start, how about some Red Hook ( gotta represent Seattle ) to get us started,? And do you think much work needs to be done to the Velvet drive along with the motor? And any other modifications that need to be done to make this 351-W rip roaring ready? How about a supercharged-turbo fed- nitrous injection....ha
80SkiNauty
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic