Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water Pump Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Pump Replacement
    Posted: January-12-2019 at 10:46am
I was wondering if I should replace my 25yo water pump on my 1993 SN before this season starts. Not really sure how many hours on the engine, the PO said when he bought this boat the engine hour meter wasn't working, and hasn't worked since. I don't have any indication that the pump is about to go out, but when they do (bad day) on the lake. Wise investment or waist of time and money? Thoughts from the guys?

Thanks for your help.
TWSS
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 11:44am
Greg,
Are you thinking about the raw water pump or the circulation pump? Ether way, if there's no leakage and no cooling problem, then I feel let them be.

You don't drill and fill a tooth just because it's old do you?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 12:17pm
Raw water pump.
And yes it really irritates me when other DDS's suggest removing all the old fillings and replacing them just because
Well stated sir!
TWSS
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 12:49pm
Pete and I will have to agree to disagree on this. I am NOT a proponent of the run-to-failure philosophy when it comes to critical components. The 2 best ways to destroy an engine is low/no oil pressure and over-heating. Just cruise through this site and count the number of "overheating" threads.

Most likely you have a Sherwood G21 pump. If you are mechanically savvy, you can rebuild your raw water pump. Not too difficult -- but you will have to press certain parts on/off the pump shaft. That can be a bit daunting for some. If you are up to it, go for it. A pump rebuild kit (Sherwood part number 12665) is approx. $150. A new pump is $400+

A new pump for a 1993 boat is a reasonable approach. My engine is a warmed-up 1994 and I chose to install a new pump. (I won't mention that I mucked-up the shaft doing a backyard hack job on pressing in new bearings....well that was before I purchased a hydraulic press)

Just sayin'

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I am NOT a proponent of the run-to-failure philosophy when it comes to critical components. JQ

Nether am I a "run to failure" person but note I said as long as there aren't any leaks or cooling problems, I recommended to keep going.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 2:16pm
Inspect internal surfaces for wear & corrosion. I bet there is a way to pressurize it underwater to check health of seal too. Seems like a lot of money to spend just-in-case.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 2:54pm
ALOT of assuming going on here and you know what happens with that. If it's the Sherwood   pump they recommend a complete rebuild every 4 years. If you never change the impellers I know your not servicing that pump as recommended. IMHO this is the pump that will cause an over heat. The circulation pump won't cause an over heat unless the impeller falls off inside the pump or it seizes . Common failures with these are a leaking seal or noisy bearings. Not much can be done to these unless you have an odd ball engine/ pump combo. No one changes one of these for maintenance reasons
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 9:19am
Meh, I’m with Pete. My G21 has 33 years under its belt and well north of 2000 operating hours. It’s the coolest running boat I’ve ever owned and I have no plans on servicing the rotating parts until it leaks. I get around 3 seasons and 200-300 hours out of an impeller.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 9:23am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Meh, I’m with Pete. My G21 has 33 years under its belt

I'm on 55 years on one, 65 years on another and then 42 years on yet another RWP.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 11:20am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'm on 55 years on one, 65 years on another and then 42 years on yet another RWP.

That's because your boats never see the water!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

That's because your boats never see the water!

Tim,
I get enough flack from others on the site. Now you too?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 12:05pm
Just spreading the Pete!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 12:07pm
At 8 degrees your lake should hard enough to get the Atom out of its tomb. Get it on the trailer and get to the river run! Unless your turning into a hermit and don’t want to meet any interesting members 😉
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 12:39pm
Not to cloudy the (waters) but two words...... Trailer bearings.
If you wait till failure you are stranded on the roadside FUBAR'ed.
TWSS
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 1:00pm
Replaced my raw water pump with a new one this fall as I was winterizing.
Knew there was something going on. Temp would not cool down as usual, at fast idle speed, after skiing. During the last two outings in the late fall. Hoses were good, strainer- good, impeller- good.
So, got her all winterized and was going to suck up the anti-freeze.....nothing!
Checked everything. Still no suction.
Finally noticed the bearing fragments protruding from the pulley end of the water pump.
Did notice some minor/intermingle squeaking.....come to think of it.
Figure after 25 years it was time for a new one. And had some cash in the boat fund!
Guess I will have the old one rebuilt (do not own a press).
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 1:10pm
You guys are spoiled. T stat and impeller annually or you are calling Seatow at some point, It takes about 5 years ~800 hours before the sandy water erodes the clearances and performance suffers.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

You guys are spoiled. T stat and impeller annually or you are calling Seatow at some point, It takes about 5 years ~800 hours before the sandy water erodes the clearances and performance suffers.

John,
Looking at your avatar picture, I can recommend one thing to prevent sand from getting sucked into the cooling system. DON"T BEACH THE BOAT!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

At 8 degrees your lake should hard enough to get the Atom out of its tomb. Get it on the trailer and get to the river run! Unless your turning into a hermit and don’t want to meet any interesting members 😉

Gary,
I'd love to make the trip. Maybe one of these years I will.

The Atom is in the garage on the trailer. It's the Tique and X55 that are in the boathouse "tomb".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
FLCaptain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2019 at 11:31pm
There’s a guy on eBay that offers a $280 trade-in for the G 21 Pump. that’s a good price if you don’t want to rebuild one yourself or don’t have a press. I just bought a 1979 Nautique iwith 700 original hours. I’m going to launch it on Saturday. It had a clearly sand beach to prop that I just got redone. I bought it for 3800. The story is that the water pump needs to be replaced. I’m thinking the mechanic might’ve just put the impeller in backwards. If not I’m going to try this eBay guy versus buying a press. Boat runs great. Let you know.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic