NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pulled the trailer from under the boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SunFun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SunFun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pulled the trailer from under the boat
    Posted: January-12-2019 at 12:29pm
I need to do some work on my trailer and needed to pull it out from under the boat. I built two gantry cranes out of 2x8s and 2x6s and easily lifted the boat up using the lifting eyes.

If anyone is interested in doing this, I will be happy to give you more info on what I did.
1989 SN 2001
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 12:52pm
Pictures or it didn't happen...

I really want to see how you approached the problem. I used concrete blocks and 2X10s between hull and concrete blocks. Then I used a 2-ton engine hoist to pick-and-move the trailer out from under. It as a P-I-T-A so if there is a better way, I'd like to see it.
JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
SunFun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SunFun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 11:23am
Here are some pics of using a gantry crane to lift the boat.

1989 SN 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 1:01pm
Charles,
Nice work on building the gantry's but not needed. With a search, the common method is to use the trailer jack stand. Here's Chris's version on how it's done.
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

It is not hard to get off trailer.

I lowered tongue to floor, then placed concrete blocks (holes up) with 2x4 & carpet pads at stern corners.

Then raise bow as much as you can, I used floor jack to get extra high.

Then you can support keel with blocks, stand or jack.

Level trailer, then boat weight will be off trailer. You will need to move keel support several times.   Just have redundant support & you will be fine.

I've used the method 100's of times going all the way back to the late 60's and early 70's when I worked at a marina.

Searching can produce lots of information.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 1:09pm
And some people don't want to screw around with moving the keel support. I like the gantrys. Nobody said they were "necessary", just preferred here obviously.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 1:47pm
Yes, Kevin, we all know how you like to lift boats.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 2:40pm
The gantry that I used to flip my jon boat was made from treated wood originally from the kids play structure, 25 YO at least.

So Charles you can reverse that idea & make some yard art when the project is complete!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
SunFun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SunFun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 4:38pm
Great idea but the gantry can be easily disassembled and stored although I will probably never need it again.
1989 SN 2001
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2019 at 11:34am
Nicely done! What are you doing to the trailer?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
SunFun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SunFun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2019 at 11:16am
The trailer that came with the 1989 SN was custom made and not the Ramlin that usually came with the SNs. It is much heavier and very well made. Since the trailer is 30 years old there is some surface rust that will be removed and treated.. New paint, new striping and a new winch.   I will replace the lights with led. I had the bearings and the tires replaced before I pulled it from Michigan, 1200 miles, back in June.

1989 SN 2001
Mooree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mooree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2022 at 4:04am
You can use a hydraulic jack if you want to lift a boat off a trailer. It’s a method recommended for vessels 15 to 25 feet long. To not damage the vessel’s exterior, layout thick plywood or cardboard over the hydraulic jack.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2022 at 8:36am
I use my car lift on the rear and a similar crane in the front.  

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2022 at 10:04am
Dude…I’m so jealous of your shop/garage.  You’re killing me!

It’s probably a good thing though - if I had a shop like that, Mrs. Quest would never see me for days at a time.  

( Don’t tell her that…she might consider it an “upgrade” )

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2022 at 8:57pm
Very nice lifting set up, are you practicing on the Supra to get ready to lift a Nautique??? ( trying to be funny)
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2022 at 6:55am
Currently I own 4 Supras and 6 Correct Crafts. 
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2022 at 9:00am

Nice hoist stand you made. If I would to make one it would be made the same way. 

Love you shop with the lift in there! 

You are definitely a water person with that many inboards.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic