Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Amplifier Location

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amplifier Location
    Posted: January-12-2019 at 4:33pm
I am upgrading my 1999 SN's audio system. I am getting the JL MX 650's speakers and putting in a JL m400/4 Amplifier to power them. Head unit I am still undecided. (ideas?)

My question has two parts:

1) I think you could get amplifiers from the factory when new , and I want to mount mine in the same location as the factory, where was the location?

2) How were the factory amps mounted (or does someone have a better way to do it)?

If people have any pictures they could share of their installation that would be great too!

Cleveland Boat show starting next week...getting a little bigger each year again! Every time I go and see the prices I love my boat more and more!

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Otto
Otto
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 5:17pm
Hi Otto ....   Not sure about a factory location, but I mounted mine on the side bulkhead just to the left of the driver - works well there and provides easy access as well as plenty of air to reduce heat.

Amp Location
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 6:07pm
That looks like it could take a real bath in the right instances. There is a molded fiberglass brace that runs basically under the windshield beneath the dash. I hung a piece of starboard from this and mounted the amp to it.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 1:13am
thanks for the pic....that is where I thought it went!   Your carpet lookss Awesome! did you do it yourself? How hard was it?

Thanks!

Otto
Otto
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

That looks like it could take a real bath in the right instances. There is a molded fiberglass brace that runs basically under the windshield beneath the dash. I hung a piece of starboard from this and mounted the amp to it.

Under normal circumstances, maybe. But I rebuilt the plywood bulkhead to be longer and taller. It extends out and up far enough there's no way for water to splash in on the unit.
But you are correct, without doing this it would possibly be a risky location. I like your idea of mounting it high - kind of wish I'd thought of that !    
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

thanks for the pic....that is where I thought it went!   Your carpet lookss Awesome! did you do it yourself? How hard was it?

Thanks!

Otto

Thanks, and yes, did it myself. It was reasonably easy for the floor but the sides were a bit of a pain, only because it was a bit difficult to get the carpet up between the hull and the gunwales (very tight fit). The biggest chore though was all the supporting pieces - battery and cooler covers, observer seat base, rear floor panel, etc. Those took considerably longer to complete than the floor and sides. Definitely worth the headache though
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 4:45pm
any chance you can send me pics of how you mounted your amp...Factory is good but id there is a better way I would like to do it! Thanks In advance!

Otto
Otto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 4:48pm
No that looks REALLY good! Who did you buy the carpet from?

Also...do you understand how he mounted his amp? I am having a hard time visually placing it....

Im excited about the amp...how does yours sound? Are you running a single battery? How long do you think you can float and listen, THEN start the boat?

Thanks!

Otto
Otto
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 5:00pm

This is from way up under the cowl looking back at the observer seat area. The only truly dry place on the whole boat. I run in sea water so if I take green one over the bow, everything is toast.

gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 8:36pm
Got the carpet from Christine's, there's a link on this site.

As far as the length of listening time with the amp, I've got a second 'house' battery and battery switch so the starting the boat part really wouldn't apply to me. Based on previous experience with other boats I'd say maybe 30 minutes give or take. But this would vary depending on the volume of listening ... the higher the volume, the higher the current draw and therefore the quicker it would drain the battery. If at a very low volume for in-the-boat listening only you may get close to an hour. However, the thing you need to remember is that a CRANKING battery was not meant, nor can take the abuse of deep discharges like this and would severely deplete the lifespan of the battery. To be safe I wouldn't push it much past 15 or 20 minutes without adding a deep cycle house battery and switch.   IMHO.....
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 11:05am
I saw this post a few years ago and thought it would be a good way to go.

Nutserts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 1:46pm
Wow, so this is in the engine cowling correct? Don’t you have to worry about the heat?
Otto
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 1:51pm

Wow, so this is in the engine cowling correct? Don’t you have to worry about the heat?

No, the amp is behind the observers seat back. Take another look at the pictures. I think you'll get a better idea.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 3:22pm
ahhhh Got it

Why do these things always happen to me...second battery for the radio...where to, and how to mount it. Lets start there and then i will ask the wiring question....

No good deed goes un punished! All this so the wife can have music!

Otto
Otto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2019 at 12:13pm
That is an awesome install!!!!
Otto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 1:19am
After looking at your picture more closely, did you put another battery up front for the amp? If so how did you wire it and secure it?

Still Love your Carpet!
Otto
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 3:17pm
Pretty sure the awesome comment was not directed at my ghetto rig. But as per batteries: i have two; One cranking and one 31 AGM waaayyy up under the dash near the pointy end and run a 4 pole battery switch and ACR for charging. I turned the original battery box into and insulated beer cooler.
The original install was super clean and nice but 3 amps later its gotten a bit sloppy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2019 at 5:24pm
Thanks!   I am new at all this so what are:

1) one 31 AGM

2) a 4 pole battery switch

3) and ACR for charging.

Do you have a wiring schematic?

How did you secure your battery so it is not bouncing around?

Thanks!

Otto

Otto
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2019 at 5:29pm

Thanks!   I am new at all this so what are:

How did you secure your battery so it is not bouncing around?

Thanks!

Otto

Take a look starting at about page 26

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2019 at 5:42pm
Nice! I downloaded it as a pdf!

Otto
Otto
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2019 at 10:44am
Any tips on adding the second battery and switch? I was thinking of adding one this summer.
TWSS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic