Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering cable length '68 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wilson_1968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilson_1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering cable length '68 Mustang
    Posted: January-12-2019 at 5:36pm
Greetings. My boat did not come with steering. I am ordering new parts and wanted to make sure I'm correct in ordering a 13' steering cable. I hope someone can provide advice regarding this length. I learned that the cable runs along the inside of the stringer, under driver seat, then takes a swooping left bend into the helm (horizontal entry). Looking for any tips on getting the cable under the seat and through the motor compartment. I'm thinking I feed from the rear. Is that correct?

Also, I shopped online but don't know if I can share the company on this site (etiquette). Nonetheless, if you have a favorable vendor(s) for all parts including steering, pls share if allowed. Gracias. Looks like I'll be dropping about $370 for clevis hardware, clamp block with ball post, support tube, cable, bezel and helm. Reasonable?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 10:00pm
Etiquette...................... unheard of on this site    

If you don't post places you're dealing with, how can you get any feedback on service, prices etc?

You'll get opinions on everything, some totally biased, some not

And if you don't post part numbers you won't get any feedback on whether you may or may not have the right parts all figured out.

in your previous post from November, there seemed to be some question as to your engine size.

Did you ever figure out whether it's a 302 or 351?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 10:27pm
Hope your looking at a SeaStar Big T helm. Correct Craft originally used Teleflex Big T but they have been sold since those days. Some here will say to use a 16 foot cable,mine was a 17. Go2marine used to have the best cable prices but that has been awhile,you'll have to do a search
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 1:14am
do you have steering wheel?if you want to go used i think i may have everything,bezel will need to be rechromed,let me know and ill dig it out of storage.they are original parts off a barracuda.pm me
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilson_1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 8:34am
Thank you all for posting, and as always, it's an interesting read.

KENO, no I never did because it was mentioned that the 351 wouldn't fit under my box while someone said it would with some grinding. It became less of a priority since I'm going to pull the motor and I'll be able to see casting #s quite easily, u c wum sayn? The topic of this post is cable length and cable routing however. Can ya hep me with those questions? I appreciate your candor on etiquette, go2marine is the vendor and they want $213 for helm, bezel and cable (Part No. 159320) and $158 for clamp block, ball post and tube (Part No. 115525). BTW, since you're still on my prior post, I did gettr all titled and registered, woot! She's in the roles as a '68, woot! Appreciate all the responders on that one with pics and all, learned a lot.

Thanks Gary, Sure seems like 16' - 17' would have lots of excess. Total length of boat is only 16' I guess that makes the swooping bend even larger eh? Is my routing of the cable and feed into helm correct?

ccpb, thanks, I'll pm you.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 9:13am
Well, you didn't ask but here's how to easily in under a minute or so tell if you have a 351 or a 302. Terrible etiquette on my part

See the picture below and measure across the intake from the mounting bolts on one side to the bolts on the other side. Centerline to centerline is about 9 1/4 inches on a 351 and about 7 1/2 on a 302.

I'm no help on the cable length and routing for your particular boat.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Wilson_1968 Wilson_1968 wrote:

Thanks Gary, Sure seems like 16' - 17' would have lots of excess. Total length of boat is only 16' I guess that makes the swooping bend even larger eh? Is my routing of the cable and feed into helm correct? .

Gary is correct. The rule of thumb for the era is 1 foot longer than the boat length. Yes, you want a swooping bend. The tighter the bend, the more bind on the cable.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 10:30am
16’ cable for a 16’ correct craft... have done many of them. 13’ would end up a few feet short with the factory routing. Cable itself should be $100. Post pics of your routing, it doesn’t sound quite right.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilson_1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 1:40pm
Oh wow, that was easy, thanks Keno, I'm a 302.

Looks like the 16' takes, thank you for all the replies. TR I don't have a pic of the routing, but here's a pic of existing ball post that's on inside of starboard stringer. Cable runs along stringer up to front of motor where it crosses over to to underside of driver's seat, then swoops into the helm.

I'm thinking easier to feed from rear, but got no clue honestly. Cable was missing when I got boat.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 4:13pm

Oh wow, that was easy, thanks Keno, I'm a 302.

Only sorta easy

If the boats a 68, there's a good chance it's a 289

Back in your other thread there were questions as to whether it was a 68 or 69.

Either way, with the skinny manifold it's a 289 or 302

Back to the steering cable discussion now
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 11:39pm

. Cable runs along stringer up to front of motor where it crosses over to to underside of driver's seat, then swoops into the helm.

This is what we need to see. That description and the mention of a 13’ cable sound very wrong.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilson_1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 6:35am
10-4 on ruling out the 351, ty.

TR, I don't know and have no pics or diagrams is what I'm trying to tell you all the way back to the op. After several replies I admitted that it looks like cable needs to be 16'. As far as routing, and where the ball post is located, and what I discussed offline, it appears cable goes as I've explained. How would you route? Surely, several of the members here know the routing of this cable.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 8:59am
Why don't you make a hand drawn diagram and post it here instead of trying to explain how you figure the cable runs? u c wum sayn?   

You could use the instructions for determining cable length that are on the Go2 website to give yourself that warm fuzzy feeling about a 16 ft cable. Use a rope or plastic tubing to figure out the length

One thing about your choice of steering cable. That Go2 marine part number is for a No Feedback cable. You don't want one of those for your inboard steering. It's good for big outboards and IO's. Not so good for an inboard

Look at part number 157049 from Go2 marine. It's a 16 ft cable and it's 132 bucks with helm.

cable link

You must be planning on only using part of that transom mount kit for an outboard too.

And............stick it in from the rear.

Feed a rope or some plastic tubing thru first and then tape or tie the cable to the rope/tubing and pull it thru.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 9:16am
Can’t imagine there aren’t a hundred pics of the correct routing here... I can’t follow your explanation to know if you’ve got it understood.

SSC6116 = $111 at go2... if using the original style big-t helm.

https://m.go2marine.com/product/74213F/qc-ii-replacement-steering-cable-ssc61.html
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 9:27am
He's probably gonna tell ya he don't have a helm from the looks of the picture in the first post

Then again, maybe it's in a box somewhere   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilson_1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 10:11am
You boys r the best, wum sayn? Thanks for the tip on the no fb cable.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic