Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM Engine Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM Engine Question
    Posted: January-15-2019 at 11:22pm
through my short time here on the forums you seem to be well versed on these beasts! I have a quick couple of questions that maybe you have the answers too. I am only 1 year into this fun!

I have a 1999 CB SN with the high performance carb engine in it.

1) For the fuel/water filter, how many microns, band brand do we want for these boats, I want to replace it as I have no idea when it was last done. How often should they be replaced?

2) My boat has the electric fuel pump and the engine driven fuel pump. I found the carter mechanical, but I have no idea where the electrical driven pump is the comes on when the engine is running and during start! Can you help me with this too please?

I appreciate your time and input on the forums!

Thanks again!

Otto
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2019 at 12:24pm
I guess nobody wants to tell you that there was no electric fuel pump on a carbureted 99 SN at least as it was built.

Maybe somebody added something over the years. Maybe you're hearing something else.

You could play "follow the fuel line" or you could turn the key to the RUN position and play"find the noise"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2019 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

. Maybe you're hearing something else.

You could play "follow the fuel line" or you could turn the key to the RUN position and play"find the noise"

A perfect pass actuator if the boat is so equipped could be mistaken for a fuel pump kicking on during the power up process.. However it wouldn't make continually noise when running typically
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2019 at 3:30pm
Otto,
Any luck finding what the noise is?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 1:13am
Hey Guys! There is an electric fuel pump along with the mechanical pump on the HO 285 HP Carbed Engine in 1999. It only runs when the engine is running except for when the ignition is turned to start! Check out the PCM Manual!

I know who would have thunk it!
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

Hey Guys! There is an electric fuel pump along with the mechanical pump on the HO 285 HP Carbed Engine in 1999. It only runs when the engine is running except for when the ignition is turned to start! Check out the PCM Manual!

I know who would have thunk it!

I guess you should say which PCM manual you're looking at, maybe it's the one in the link

link

If the page you're reading looks like this, I'd say it's "not exactly accurate". You'll have to rotate the picture yourself or goto page MT4 in the linked manual

Your engine is a PLP (285 HP) so if you believe the words that are there you would have only an electric fuel pump and no mechanical pump.

I'd say the people writing and proofreading the manual forgot to include PLP right after the PLD in their discussion of mechanical and electric fuel pumps.

Do you see words that say "Otto's 285 HP engine has a mechanical and an electric fuel pump" ? Do you see words that say any of their engines with a carburetor have both an electric and a mechanical fuel pump.?

The part that talks about "Carburetor equipped engines with electric fuel pumps" is for a GM engine, in this case a 454 with ONLY an electric fuel pump. It has no provision for a mechanical fuel pump in the later years.

Look at the wiring diagram for a carbureted Ford on page MT14 of the same manual and you don't see anything associated with an electric fuel pump.

Now continue on to page MT15 for a GM with a carburetor and there's an electric fuel pump and wiring and it's associated pressure switch and fuse just like what was talked about of page MT4.

Early GM's had mechanical fuel pumps but as the carburetor went the way of the dinosaur they quit machining the provision for a mechanical fuel pump in the block so an electric pump was needed.

A 351 marine Ford always had the mechanical fuel pump provision since the fuel pump was mounted to the timing cover which was a different part on a marine engine as compared to the auto engine it was based on.

You could also call somebody like SkiDim and ask them if your carburetor equipped 285 HP Ford engine has 2 fuel pumps.

Think about it, if you have a 6 psi electric pump feeding a 6 psi mechanical pump you'd now have 12 psi to the carburetor and they don't like that.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 3:55pm
Otto,
Now that Ken has spelled out the pump issue, have you:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Otto,
Any luck finding what the noise is?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2019 at 5:31pm
Thanks for the response...I fly Heavy Boeing Jets and I expect what is in a service manual to be accurate. Can you imagine if I had to dump 250,000 lbs of fuel to get to max landing weight and they had the procedures for a DC8 instead of a B777? Im just saying...
Otto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2019 at 5:33pm
Oh by the way, any suggestions on the fuel water filter/micron size? Nothing in the manual I can find!

Thanks again

Otto
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2019 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

Thanks for the response...I fly Heavy Boeing Jets and I expect what is in a service manual to be accurate. Can you imagine if I had to dump 250,000 lbs of fuel to get to max landing weight and they had the procedures for a DC8 instead of a B777? Im just saying...

I figure that as long as humans are writing manuals, procedures etc. for almost anything, there will be mistakes or words that people can misinterpret no matter what the manual is for.

With a certain amount of familiarity with the engine/boat in this case you can understand what the manual is telling you. It's not written to cover one specific engine or year of engine.

I can understand that you're trying to get familiar with the boat and the best way to do that is with your eyes and hands,crawling around, removing panels etc. And.................keep asking questions

Most of the filters/separators are 10 micron which will work just fine.
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2019 at 9:23pm
Most of the marine fuel filters I have seen fall into EFI, Outboard, I/O , Inboard, all vary slightly depending on what the carb/efi pressure requires and how forgiving the injectors or carb may be in regards to water or whatever is in the tank.(mine was black on the bottom when I got mine). drain the bowls on the carburetor and put it in a clear cup see what it looks like...is always a good starting point if its been sitting especially.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2019 at 3:30pm
Thanks! I want to change it this spring...any tricks to doing it, Like filling it with gas before you put it on?

Otto
Otto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic